General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Rattle

Ok, I know its been talked about so many times, but I still haven't seen a "true" answer to fixing the "rocks in a box" noise coming from the right rear on alot of the F-body owners that are posting on this site. One guy was on the same track that I was when his "hunting of the noise" post stopped at the emergency brake pad area. Any takers?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ that's exactly right. The emergency brake "shoe" is what's rattling around and catch on the inside of the rear rotor hat. Pop it off and adjust the star wheel to hold the shoe in place and see if that doesn't cure your problem up.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

If that's not the problem and you have an aftermarket CB, it could be the over-the-axle pipe hitting the underside.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Launching!

At what point during driving do you get this noise?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:34 AM

Greatly appreciate the response. Kind of a busy weekend, but I'll check out the e brake issue ASAP. The last time the car was inspected it failed because the e brake was not working. I thought about that when I read your post and went out to check the e brake again (after a year without checking) and guess what, the ebrake is not working again. I would assume that because it is not working that probably means that there is a lot of slack in the system, which could be why the darn thing is making all of that noise. Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 AM

No, the exhaust is all original. I have read many articles about others having this same rattling noise, but have not read a lot of answers to the rattle. Thanks for proving input though.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Like a few other post that I have read, the noise is heard over any type of minor bump or pepple in the road. You won't hear it on dips, only small to medium type bumps/disruptions in the road surface.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Caelynne67
Like a few other post that I have read, the noise is heard over any type of minor bump or pepple in the road. You won't hear it on dips, only small to medium type bumps/disruptions in the road surface.
hmm.. Do you ever get a noise or chatter comming from the same area when going down hills?

My car seems to get this noise when going down slopes. It will begin making the noise once the car picks up a little speed on the down slope, and if i give a little bit of gas the noise goes away like there is no more slack to make the noise. Its almost like there is slack between teeth in the gears.

OH, and my Ebrake works but only when i pull the handle basically all the way up
Old 07-03-2011, 05:54 PM

I'm putting my money on something with the e brake system. Not to familar with the system, but it would seem as though if someone really wanted to drift a Trans Am, the emergency brake shouldn't have to be pulled all the way up before it works.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check those brake shoes on the inside of the rear rotor hats. And if the e-brake isn't working, I bet it's because the piston isn't even in contact with the shoe anymore and it's just flopping around in there.

Again, I'm puttin' money on it.