Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Who makes the strongest gears for the 9in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the strongest gears for the 9in?

OK guys, long story short, installed my new rear end (fab 9), it was late on a saturday at the shop and had to get the car out so we could close for the weekend. I didnt have time to run the car on the lift for 15mins at a time with an hour in between for 5 cycles (the recommended break in). So I drove the car home 40 miles, stopping twice for an hour each time. did a couple more 15min drives once home and put 500 normal miles on it. Got my first crack at the track last friday and made a motor pass first. 1.72 60' and 12.2 et. I put the bottles in and went for a nitrous pass, blew it up right there on the line. Just got around to taking it apart this morning and found every single tooth sheared off the ring gear. Now, Im pretty sure this happened because I didnt heat cycle the gears properly and they just never got a chance to harden they way they needed too. The set up is a 9" yukon case, Richmond 4.11's and a spool. I was running on 28x10.5 15's et drags and dead hooked with a stick car, full weight, around 5500rpm on the nitrous, (dyno is right around 600ft lbs). Im going to order another set of gears and was thinking of stepping up to a set of 4.30's. My question is this, from your experiences, who has the strongest rearend gears, and am I giving up any strength from possibly less tooth contact by moving to 4.30's? Also, the car is in my garage on jack stands and will not be coming off until ive done the proper break in this time. heres a couple pics of the carnage.... lesson learned
Attached Thumbnails Who makes the strongest gears for the 9in?-ring-gear.jpg   Who makes the strongest gears for the 9in?-ring-gear-teeth.jpg  
Old 07-02-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i feel your pain.....i just did almost the same thing but it was my pinion that stripped the teeth off of it...(456 gears)...
cracked my center section toooo......

i have a set of 430 gears on a spool with less than a 1000 miles if your intrested...
pm me.

good luck!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Same thing happened to me back in May, i went with US gears, which i think are Richmond gears
Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

I would have been super pissed if it cracked my case, gears dont seem to be too expensive to replace. Looks like ill be getting my first chance to set up some new gears. thanks for the offer heymoej, but I think im just going to stick to the 4.11's this time around so I dont have to mess with the speedo recalibration again. Might just have to lay off the aggressive launches being a heavy stick car
Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i keep hearing yukon gears are the best but i have no experience with them in a 9 inch. i have them in my 12 bolt tho. whine like a bitch (but 12 bolts are known to do that behind an m6) but no real problems. been daily driving it for a few years, 5k dumps at the track every few months, at around 450rwhp, full weight
Old 07-06-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

richmonds are an excellent gear,and that didnt happen because of improper heat cycling.Us gear is not the same as richmond either.Us gear is Us gear,richmonds are richmonds.Get a new set,and if your on an aluminum case,consider going to an iron case,or set the gears up a little tighter.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Have a set of Yukon gears on the way along with a few bearings that got chewed from the teeth kicking around. Hopefully I'll be able to make this set last. I'm using a Yukon nodular case, with a 35 spline spool, thought it would have handled my setup. I didn't set up the case the first time, so idk if that was an issue or not. I think I'm going to delay my nitrous controller .5sec to try and soften the hit a little. We see how that goes hopefully within the next couple weekends