View Full Version : Anyone have a memory foam mattress or topper?

NewCar
07-02-2011, 09:47 PM
UPDATE 7/17/11
After tons of trying mattresses out in the stores, crunching numbers, weighing the pros & cons of each mattress on paper & in real life & trying to find/talk myself into something that is not $3,500, I'm going to have to go with the Tempur Cloud Supreme or Rhapsody. I was hoping the iComfort Revolution or Dormia would suffice, but the Dormia had way too much motion transfer & the iComfort gave me the hammock feeling & I'm a skinny guy at 130 lbs.

Anyway, I think I'll buy the Cloud Supreme & try it for at least 30 days & exchange it for the Rhapsody if need be. However, before I do buy anything I wanted to see if anyone could chime in on the Cloud-Luixe. Looks like it has a layer of the HD foam under the top layer and that seems to be the only difference vs the Supreme. Is the Luxe really worth the extra $1,000?

UPDATE: 7/16/11 -
We went out again today & tried the same mattresses again, but we also went to The Dump and tried out the Dormia memory foam mattresses too. Of the Dormias they had, we felt the Newport model was the best for us. According to the tag, it has 3" of 4 lb memory foam then 3" of 5 lb memory foam & then a 7" base and had a price tag of $1,800. It's not as comfy as the Tempur Cloud Supreme & the motion transfer is way too much between sides IMO. I was doing everything I could to avoid dropping $3,500 on the Tempur Cloud Supreme, but it looks like I may have to bite the bullet. We did try the entry Tempur Cloud again as well, but the Supreme is world better and worth the extra $1k IMO.

The Ashley-Sleep Key West we liked last weekend is now out as it is too firm and the motion transfer is way too much. Their Bar harbor model is the lower level memory foam mattress of their line, but felt the best to us. However, motion transfer was crap as well.

Gave the Sealy Embody line another try and didn't like them enough to buy. The Embody that I liked was just $700 less than the Tempur. I'd rather spend $700 more on the Tempur.

Anyone here have a Dormia? If the motion transfer was not so bad on it, I may be more inclined to buy, but I could feel the smallest stuff across the bed such as my gf tapping her foot or putting her hand down on the bed.

=============
Looks like I am not going to go Tempur-Pedic. Don't want to shell out that kind of cash.

I believe I am either going to go with one of the Serta iComfort mattresses or the Costco Novaform topper or mattress by Sleep Innovations.

I want to stay away from the the 99999999 no name ones out there (Unless people have 1st hand positive experience with some of them)

EDIT 7/9/11 : So it's back to the TP Cloud Supreme as the front runner now.

However, I want to know if I should go more firm than that to help my back problems. I am getting some people telling me go Cloud to help my back & others say go more firm!

EDIT 7/10/11: Ashley Furniture has their own line of memory foam mattresses so I checked those out today. I like their "Key West" model. $1,100 on sale for the king set. Ashley only gives a 7 year warranty. I don't really care as I doubt I'd have the TP for the 20 years it is under warranty anyway.

The TP Cloud Supreme is still my favorite, but I don't think it is $2,400 more than the Ashley Key West nice at this point. However, I will probably end up buying TP pillows. I like their symphony pillow.

The specs the lady @ Ashley gave me for the Key West mattress are:
1" poly foam quilted cover
3" memory foam
7" support base

I'll have to do some research & see how this stacks up to the TP & the Novaform.

Went back to Sears right after this to lay on the Serta iComforts again. Not bad, but they range from about $500 to $1,500 more than the Ashley. I don't feel they are good enough to warrant paying that much more.

EDIT: 7/11/11 I was able to get some specs on the Ashley Furniture mattresses. Looks like the difference is in the inches of the support layer as all 3 of the models have 3 lb density foam. TP has 4.7 lb I believe.

djsanchez2
07-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Dude they are freaking AWESOME!! I absolutely hate beds that are too soft, but this one works for me. It's the non-mechanical version. I tried the mattress topper before i moved in with my wife and it was not even a close comparison unless you get the 4"+ thick ones. I had the 3" one and it felt good at first, but got uncomfortable after 15-20mins.

I also like the fact that the mattresses have a removable cover that can be tossed in with the laundry. No more rotating the bed, vacuuming or steaming the mattress. I'm a bit anal about that stuff :lol:

NewCar
07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Dude they are freaking AWESOME!! I absolutely hate beds that are too soft, but this one works for me. It's the non-mechanical version. I tried the mattress topper before i moved in with my wife and it was not even a close comparison unless you get the 4"+ thick ones. I had the 3" one and it felt good at first, but got uncomfortable after 15-20mins.

I also like the fact that the mattresses have a removable cover that can be tossed in with the laundry. No more rotating the bed, vacuuming or steaming the mattress. I'm a bit anal about that stuff :lol:

There is no 4", only 3", on Tempur-Pedic's site...

Slvr00Bird
07-02-2011, 10:05 PM

I can't remember if mine is Tempur-Pedic or not (I thought so), but I have a 4" topper that is memory foam. Love it. I haven't slept on a full mattress, so I have no comparison there, but for the price it is definitely where it's at.

On a side not, my folks bought a "pillow top" mattress a while back, and that thing is also very, very comfortable. I think it cost them a pretty penny (5-8k$) but it was worth it.

matt224
07-02-2011, 10:09 PM
i have a full tempurpedic bed and it is the best thing ever. Before this bed, I could never sleep through the entire night without waking up once to roll over or change positions; now I sleep with no interruptions or waking in the middle of the night.

djsanchez2
07-02-2011, 10:57 PM

Guess they don't make them anymore, this was over 5yrs ago.

1972_Z-28
07-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Have a theperpedic for over a year now, forgot the model but it was about 4k for the kingsize. It took me a few months to get use to. I got to where I enjoy it. The only issue I have is that I get hot(sweaty) if I don't keep the A\C down but I'm in the Houston, Tx. area and it is hot and humid.
I've had both hips replaced and my back is jacked up from some car wrecks but i do sleep thru the night now.
As far as pricing themperpedic has a set prices and it should be the same regardless where you buy it from.

NewCar
07-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I think I'm going to try the mattress topper route first, but I have no idea which ones to seriously consider.

The Serta Ultimate looks decent, but a lot of mixed reviews. Anyone have one of these or another one?

lt1camaro95
07-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Have mine for 5 years so far and absolutely awesome. But, here are a few drawbacks...
1. Do not run and jump on the bed, its like concrete, then you sink in.
2. You will love the snooze button because you will not want to ever leave the bed.
3. Sex is more of an effort on the bed because there is no "spring back" like regular mattresses. You have to put some effort into it.
4. Last one: If you ever need to move the bed, bring at least 4 people, that thing is heavy.

Besides that, it is well worth the price since they wont wear out like others after 5 years. I have heard they will last at least 20 years.

matt224
07-03-2011, 08:57 PM
they are also great for allergies, they don't hold dust and pollen really

NewCar
07-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Have mine for 5 years so far and absolutely awesome. But, here are a few drawbacks...
1. Do not run and jump on the bed, its like concrete, then you sink in.
2. You will love the snooze button because you will not want to ever leave the bed.
3. Sex is more of an effort on the bed because there is no "spring back" like regular mattresses. You have to put some effort into it.
4. Last one: If you ever need to move the bed, bring at least 4 people, that thing is heavy.

Besides that, it is well worth the price since they wont wear out like others after 5 years. I have heard they will last at least 20 years.

To be fair to standard mattresses, mine is about 6 years old (Sealy) now & is still in great shape. With that said, I still want memory foam.

SSmoken
07-04-2011, 12:35 AM
i used to work at a furniture store. we delivered tons of these things. i never got to fully lay on one, but they felt amazing and everyone seemed to love them.

NewCar
07-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Too many junk so called memory foam options out there & no reviews to sort out of the mess. I am going to try to hit Costco to see if they have 1 of their Novaform toppers out to lay on even though I'm not a member.

The Serta topper looks like it could be a decent option too.

Ping King
07-04-2011, 04:26 PM
My Temperpedic bed is fantastic. 20yr warranty too

JIBBBY
07-04-2011, 04:34 PM
I got a Concave Mattress and I don't about all this temper Pediatric mattress talk?

All's that I know is I gotta sleep on either sides of my bed where the mattress is more firm and if I accidentally slip into the middle abyss of my bed I stand a good chance of waking up with a wrenched lower spin...:bomb:

It's only a few years old too..:bang:

I guess I'm a heavy ass bastard!!!:chug:

NewCar
07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Looks like I am not going to go Tempur-Pedic. Don't want to shell out that kind of cash.

I believe I am either going to go with one of the Serta iComfort mattresses or the Costco Novaform topper or mattress by Sleep Innovations.

I want to stay away from the the 99999999 no name ones out there (Unless people have 1st hand positive experience with some of them)

chemicalstylez
07-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I work for Raymour & Flanigan. If you want to know what a good mattress is feel free to hit me up.. If its not Tempurpedic, Serta, or Simmons foam.... its junk. Between, don't ever buy any kind of mattress topper, that just covers up a poor foundation underneath it.

Edit: My store is in Wilimington, DE on 202... if you live close by you could even pick out a nice one there, pick it up at the store to save on sales tax as well ;)

And mine is a Serta Natural Start.... Latex core with a memory foam pillow top... it feels like heaven.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I have a Simmons Marekerk Plush "memory foam" mattress because I didn't want to shell out the cash for a name brand like Tempur-Pedic. As previously stated by another poster it takes awhile to get used to. Now I can barely sleep in lesser beds but sleep in general is a lot better. The Tempur-Pedic foam was too dense for me anyways.

It seems like the main difference between the higher brands and mid priced ones is foam density and if you don't like a super firm bed then why pay more?

cambirdracing
07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
My wife had a Serta pillow top, queen size. I'm 6'4" and it was to short. We bought a California King Serta pillow top and it lasted all of a year. I hated that thing. We bought a Temper-Pedic and don't want to get out of bed. I hate the damn snooze button, but use it at least twice a week.

NewCar
07-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I tried the Serta iComfort genius, Revolution & Insight again tonight. Insight feels like cheap junk, Revolution is $1k less than the Tempur-Pedic Cloud I want, but doesn't feel good enough to spend $2,500 on it. The Genius wasn't bad, but I'll have to try it again.

Still have no idea wtf I am going to buy. This is harder than shopping for a car. There are really next to zero online sites to get legit info on any of these mattresses.

SOMbitch
07-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Well I will go against the grain... I messed around with a girl about 5 yrs. ago with a tempur-pedic and that thing was HOT....I mean temperature wise. The foam just held the heat in and did not agree with me....

NewCar
07-09-2011, 08:40 PM
So it's back to the TP Cloud Supreme as the front runner now.

However, I want to know if I should go more firm than that to help my back problems. I am getting some people telling me go Cloud to help my back & others say go more firm!

sslateron
07-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Try a magnetic matress topper you will get just as good or better results for a restful sleep. Won't be as comfortable.

NewCar
07-10-2011, 12:15 AM
I wish I could find a cheaper clone of the TP Cloud Supreme, but nothing seems to compare. The Serta iComforts feel like cheap imitation garbage for the most part. The Sealy stuff in raymour felt the same way. I wish Costco had a fullsize Novaform on display.

NewCar
07-10-2011, 01:45 PM
EDIT 7/10/11: Ashley Furniture has their own line of memory foam mattresses so I checked those out today. I like their "Key West" model. $1,100 on sale for the king set. Ashley only gives a 7 year warranty. I don't really care as I doubt I'd have the TP for the 20 years it is under warranty anyway.

The TP Cloud Supreme is still my favorite, but I don't think it is $2,400 more than the Ashley Key West nice at this point. However, I will probably end up buying TP pillows. I like their symphony pillow.

The specs the lady @ Ashley gave me for the Key West mattress are:
1" poly foam quilted cover
3" memory foam
7" support base

I'll have to do some research & see how this stacks up to the TP & the Novaform.

Went back to Sears right after this to lay on the Serta iComforts again. Not bad, but they range from about $500 to $1,500 more than the Ashley. I don't feel they are good enough to warrant paying that much more.

chemicalstylez
07-11-2011, 03:16 PM
The Ashley brand memory foam is comparable to the Sealy Comfort foam Raymour dropped 2 months ago, its basically a clone in a different wrapping. Next time you drop in a raymour ask about the Natural Start pillow top, its comparable to the cloud supreme. And remember you can haggle a bit on pricing of others brands except tempurpedics. Usually you can get 5-10% knocked off of the pricing on the tags just simply by asking.... Just sucks after you've gone from store to store and have tried too many mattress', starts to get all too confusing as every store has a different name for their mattress to stop price shopping.

NewCar
07-11-2011, 03:33 PM
The Ashley brand memory foam is comparable to the Sealy Comfort foam Raymour dropped 2 months ago, its basically a clone in a different wrapping. Next time you drop in a raymour ask about the Natural Start pillow top, its comparable to the cloud supreme. And remember you can haggle a bit on pricing of others brands except tempurpedics. Usually you can get 5-10% knocked off of the pricing on the tags just simply by asking.... Just sucks after you've gone from store to store and have tried too many mattress', starts to get all too confusing as every store has a different name for their mattress to stop price shopping.

I can't find anything online for the Natural Start. Isn't that a spring mattress? The Ashley-Sleep Key West is not spring.

Any idea what density the Ashley is?

Head Hunter
07-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Have had a TP for over 5 years now and the wife and I love it

NewCar
07-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I was able to get some specs on the Ashley Furniture mattresses. Looks like the difference is in the inches of the support layer as all 3 of the models have 3 lb density foam. TP has 4.7 lb I believe.

sslateron
07-11-2011, 05:38 PM
I thought you said foaming mistress.... :lol: jk

chemicalstylez
07-13-2011, 07:38 AM
I can't find anything online for the Natural Start. Isn't that a spring mattress? The Ashley-Sleep Key West is not spring.

Any idea what density the Ashley is?

Natural Start pillow top is a latex core with a memory foam top. No springs :)

calebzman
07-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Nobody mentioned bedinabox (http://www.bedinabox.com/memory-foam-mattresses.html) yet, so I'll throw that one into the mix. I've been sleeping on their 11" pacdown plus mattress for three years and love it. Price can't be beat either.

If you want foam mattress reviews, go to viewpoints (http://www.viewpoints.com/Foam-Mattresses). The bedinabox mattress (http://www.viewpoints.com/BedInABox-com-PacBed-Original-Foam-Mattress-9-or-11-Inch-All-Sizes-reviews) is actually rated higher than the TP cloud (http://www.viewpoints.com/Tempur-Pedic-TEMPUR-Cloud-Supreme-Mattress-reviews) (probably slightly due to price).

NewCar
07-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Nobody mentioned bedinabox (http://www.bedinabox.com/memory-foam-mattresses.html) yet, so I'll throw that one into the mix. I've been sleeping on their 11" pacdown plus mattress for three years and love it. Price can't be beat either.

If you want foam mattress reviews, go to viewpoints (http://www.viewpoints.com/Foam-Mattresses). The bedinabox mattress (http://www.viewpoints.com/BedInABox-com-PacBed-Original-Foam-Mattress-9-or-11-Inch-All-Sizes-reviews) is actually rated higher than the TP cloud (http://www.viewpoints.com/Tempur-Pedic-TEMPUR-Cloud-Supreme-Mattress-reviews) (probably slightly due to price).

I've read about it, but without being able to try it before laying down $ = it is out for me.

NewCar
07-16-2011, 09:38 PM
UPDATE: 7/16/11 -
We went out again today & tried the same mattresses again, but we also went to The Dump and tried out the Dormia memory foam mattresses too. Of the Dormias they had, we felt the Newport model was the best for us. According to the tag, it has 3" of 4 lb memory foam then 3" of 5 lb memory foam & then a 7" base and had a price tag of $1,800. It's not as comfy as the Tempur Cloud Supreme & the motion transfer is way too much between sides IMO. I was doing everything I could to avoid dropping $3,500 on the Tempur Cloud Supreme, but it looks like I may have to bite the bullet. We did try the entry Tempur Cloud again as well, but the Supreme is world better and worth the extra $1k IMO.

The Ashley-Sleep Key West we liked last weekend is now out as it is too firm and the motion transfer is way too much. Their Bar harbor model is the lower level memory foam mattress of their line, but felt the best to us. However, motion transfer was crap as well.

Gave the Sealy Embody line another try and didn't like them enough to buy. The Embody that I liked was just $700 less than the Tempur. I'd rather spend $700 more on the Tempur.

Anyone here have a Dormia? If the motion transfer was not so bad on it, I may be more inclined to buy, but I could feel the smallest stuff across the bed such as my gf tapping her foot or putting her hand down on the bed.

NewCar
07-17-2011, 06:49 PM
UPDATE 7/17/11
After tons of trying mattresses out in the stores, crunching numbers, weighing the pros & cons of each mattress on paper & in real life & trying to find/talk myself into something that is not $3,500, I'm going to have to go with the Tempur Cloud Supreme or Rhapsody. I was hoping the iComfort Revolution or Dormia would suffice, but the Dormia had way too much motion transfer & the iComfort gave me the hammock feeling & I'm a skinny guy at 130 lbs.

Anyway, I think I'll buy the Cloud Supreme & try it for at least 30 days & exchange it for the Rhapsody if need be. However, before I do buy anything I wanted to see if anyone could chime in on the Cloud-Luixe. Looks like it has a layer of the HD foam under the top layer and that seems to be the only difference vs the Supreme. Is the Luxe really worth the extra $1,000?

4maros
07-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Make sure you inquire about their resistance to temperature. I know most foam mattresses get very hard when it gets cool, and spongier when hot. We got ours from Hanks Furniture, I love it. Our old one was sensitive to temp, and could tell the difference when it fluctuated. Read the fine print, most say a recommended temp.

dabest09
07-17-2011, 10:26 PM
I got a tempur pedic pillow from my gf for Christmas and it's amazing. Her mom has the bed but ive never slept in it lol

chemicalstylez
07-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Cloud Luxe is the best of the Supreme and Rap.... you get the softness and the support in 1 mattress. If your gonna buy a Temp shoot me a PM, like i said i can take care of you :).

valentinetti0
06-23-2012, 06:27 AM

xxKennyDxx
06-23-2012, 11:09 PM
I bought a Memory Foam 3" mattress topper from Target for about 250 dollars. I have never slept better in my life. Best investment I have ever made in terms of bedding.

saluki
06-23-2012, 11:14 PM
I love my memory foam pillow. whenever i dont have it, i cant sleep to save my life.

LS1Goat
06-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Slept on my new Icomfort bed last night, AMAZING!!! No back ache this morning!! About damn time.