General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

squeaking belt/tensioner/pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default squeaking belt/tensioner/pulley?

Ive been having this squeaky sound on and off for ill say 6 months or so. When i 1st got it, i removed the belts and checked everything and found out the very bottom ac idler pulley (correct me if im wrong with the name) was the one making all the noise.

So i bought 2 idler pulley's from RockAuto but never got around to installing them since the noise would go away for a few months. The squeaking came back and hasnt stopped all this week, so today i finally installed the idler pulleys. On startup is sounded fine but once i started driving around, the noise came back.

What could be the problem? Im going to take the belts back off tomorrow and check all the pulleys, tensioner & etc. to see if maybe another has gone bad on me. Get me some new belts as well but thought i would ask and see what you guys might think is my problem here.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Default Same problem here

I am having the same problem with my 2000 SS. Occasional squeak that lasts for a day or 2 and then disappears. I have replaced all 4 pulleys on the front of the engine. I also upgraded my alternator to the GM Truck 145 amp. Motor, radiator and AC compressor are all new, but both tensioners are stock with 80K on them. I read on another thread that KAtech(?) makes tensioners that eliminate this problem permenantly, but I haven't tried that yet. I am going to take the belts off again this weekend and take the AC tensioner off and see if I can find a problem with it. I only have problems when the AC is engaged...
Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

goodyear gator back belts.......nuff sed
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya I had this problem before replaced the ac idler pullies and put new belts on and the problem went away. I'm going to replaces the main tensioner pulley soon that thing spun freely!!! But I always wanted to put the gator back on just never got to ordering them.

Quick Reply: squeaking belt/tensioner/pulley?