LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Are these cars worth it?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these cars worth it?

So I've been looking for a new DD for quite some time now and I really like the GXP but my only question is are the cars worth getting? All I see people posting about its there problems, mainly with the trans. I'm a college student so I dont have money to beef up the trans to make it so it wont break down. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

every car is going to have a common issue or weak point. the gxp is a great car and i love mine. when you go on a car forum your going to see all of the bad for that specific car. i have 87,000 miles and my trans is fine and i havent serviced it at all. however as a college student depending on yours funds i wouldnt say that this is the greatest car. gas mileage is horrible in the city and stop and go traffic. it will only get good gas mileage on the highway where dod is active nearly the whole time. honestly if i was in college and money was a concern i would pick up a cobalt ss,civic si, s2k or something similiar.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:27 AM
TECH Resident

I really like my GXP.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well depends on you and what you need and what makes you happy
Old 07-03-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

love mine, but would agree a cobalt ss would be a good ride. plus they are easily made quick when you do find some extra cash.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Cobolt ss tc is definitly the way to go for cheap. Dp,tune,intake,exhaust nets some pretty sweet gains!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I don't think I can afford insurance on an import so the honda would be out of the question. I might look at the cobalt but I think the manual would be a little bit of a hassle in these iowa winters, and I would definately want a ss tc but idk if I could afford that or not.
If I got the gxp the driving would be almost all highway so I would hopefully be able to get fairly decent gas mileage. I might go check out a gxp in MN next weekend, what should I be looking for when checking the car out and test driving it? And how would I know if the trans is going bad or not? It only has 45k on it so I would hope it wouldn't be bad yet. And again thanks for all the help
Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

If you can't afford the insurance on an import I doubt you will be able to afford it on a GXP either.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

I hope you see this post. Im a college student with my SS (20yrs old). Its not that bad having the car. Yea it would be nice to have a more economic car but its not that bad. Maintenence will be your bigest expense opposed to repairs. Since I dont have the extra money for repairs, I put alot of money in quality maintenence (ex synthetic oil) and not try to put too many mods so I dont over work my tranny. Majority of the tranny problems ive seen, people had mods. Yes there are some stocks with tranny problems but not as much,fingers crossed Its due-able. I wanted a 5.7 RT but ill thought that would be too much for a college student. I think its manageable. 300 a month on gas 18.1 on the DIC (Running 93 Octane).
Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

if i could do it all over again i wouldnt have got this car. The things i like are the seats, hud, the looks, the v8, but just would have gotten something else
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you go look at it you need to make sure the car was not started that day. when you get there feel the engine to make sure its cold. then start it and test drive it. it will be much easier to hear/feel any problems when the engine is cold. if it is a private seller look at where he parks the car and look for any obvious signs of oil leaks etc. also casually ask him how long tire last and this will give you a good idea of how hard he drove it. check every little detail before buying ( lights, fuses, fluid levels on everything,tire pressure,) make sure car was well taken care of.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
if i could do it all over again i wouldnt have got this car. The things i like are the seats, hud, the looks, the v8, but just would have gotten something else
I can't believe you said that

Deep down, you are happy to own one of the FEW V8 domestic cars GM had to offer at the time. Hell, all we have now is the CTS-V, Camaro and Corvette. And two of the three are only coupes.

Just saying.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just don't do it. No tire rotations with the GXP, eats brakes, interior rattles and falls down. I honestly hate the build quality of my car and if it wasn't paid off I would ditch it in a heartbeat. As fun as it is to drive and a performer in it's own right, these cars are built in a way that is representative of the old GM. Are post bailout products better? Probably. But I will never find out.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Launching!

I love mine. I love the Monte Carlo, I love the whole W-BODY chassis and whatnot. But the Trannys just dont go well with the V8. I havent had a single problem with mine except for the tranny problems Ive been having lately. If I could go back in time, I would have preferred to find a G8 GT, Or bought that GTO I found a good deal on as well, but they are still a little high, and seem to be climbing in price. I got a great deal on my Monte, 06 with 40,000 miles for 13,000. If you don't get a good deal I would pass, but if you do go for it. First thing you do is install a tranny cooler.

If youre in a area with really shitty winters, RWD just doesnt work to well. I know all the guys from VA and Maryland are going to say just use winter tires but it just doesnt work all that great, so the FWD is nice.

Last edited by Model16; 07-15-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hazards280
I can't believe you said that

Deep down, you are happy to own one of the FEW V8 domestic cars GM had to offer at the time. Hell, all we have now is the CTS-V, Camaro and Corvette. And two of the three are only coupes.

Just saying.
i mean it is a nice car but, my brakes lasted 9 months, tires lasted 1 1/2 years, trans acts funny on occasion with chance of failure everytime i hit the road, the black plastic bezel holding the clear HUD lens on the dash has a nice 6" crack, for only having 66k miles this thing seems to be wearing quick. And i would say i dont drive hard very often since i have my camaro which i get out every week or two.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a college kid i would avoid the GXP if you will be tight on funds... Tires and brakes are more expesive for this LS4 model. Better off with the SS models.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

i enjoyed the time I had my GXP, but I certainly wouldn't buy another one unless it was basically given to me......
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Would get a Cobalt SS. Insurance isn't going to be much difference between any of them, it's based more off year and value than anything.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Launching!

I almost bought an 05 Supercharged Cobalt SS for around 10, another car I found a deal on, had low miles, I think it was like 30-40, no mods..Had some gay pinstriping that only a 70 year old lady would love...Went in to check it out, test drive, most likely buy..and couldnt fit in the front seat cause im 6'2 lol, it was very cramped. but for the price, and age, it would be a better buy I think. Especially the turbos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are these cars worth it?