Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad ticking noise

Little history, I bent the pushrods a little on a 3-2 shift, not to bad, just some slight bends on them, replaced them with hardened ones. Had a tick ever since. Did some more digging today, all the rockers were still tight to 22 ft lbs, using the TDC method. Tick is coming from drivers side, can really hear it from behind the drivers front tire under the car. Did a compression test, every cylinder on the drivers side is great. Springs are good, rockers are good, the hardened pushrods are good. Did the compression test to see if a valve may have been slightly bent, but nothing doing there. Oil pressure is good as ever. 40-45 @ hot idle, 60+ under load I think. Hasn't lost any noticeable performance (first trap speed at the drag strip was 106-107 and it is still there). Starting to think I just have to live with it, or something major is wrong.

Originally thought it may have been the header gasket, which was leaking. Replaced the non MLS gasket that the previous owner had on there to a GM MLS one. Leak is gone, but the tick didn't change at all. Heard stories of loose spark plugs, checked those, all tight, before and after compression. Actually replaced the ones in there, the previous owner put in NGKs that were gapped to .060 and the tip was bent.. AC Delcos gapped to .039 now. Any suggestions would be helpful, have the parts ready for a cam swap, but don't want to waste the time if I am dealing with a ticking time bomb.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

just went through this with my buddies T/A. pull the oil filter off and cut it open with a filter cutter and see whats in it. heard the noise from the exact same spot. dont wanna be a downer, but it was the bearings. engine is at the machine shop now.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

I was starting to think it was something like that myself. Not all that surprised. Been around 4 years since I bent the pushrods. Seems like the tick is quite loud, compared to before. But it's always been ticking, close to a knock at higher rpms

EDIT: Also haven't noticed anything on the drain plug or in the oil either.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

hmm, if you havent seen anything on the drain plug it could just be a lifter ticking. what oil do you run?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

I've run the german castrol, mobil 1, royal purple. 5w and 10w. Can't remember off the top of my head if that's affected it. I think lifter too personally. Any idea how to diagnose it without pulling it out?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Shot in the dark here, but have you ruled out an exhaust leak?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Replaced the header gasket that was leaking. All good now. Seal to the ypipe is good. Its all clean.