Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 avalanche

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 5.3 avalanche

My brother just bought an 02 avalanche. He interested in doing some upgrades. I'm fairly knowledgable about LS motors but....this thing is f'ing heavy, so it definitely needs torque instead of top end. I thought that a K&N and some Long tubes might be the best place for him to start, and perhaps finish it off with a torquey mid range cam.
Whats realistic gains given the above mods. Is it even worth doing considering the mass of this truck? Personally, if it was me, I'd do it anyway...but not sure if I would actually recomend it to him. Definitely no forced induction in this build, this will be pretty tame and basic.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are doing all of that work to the engine, the next best mod would be a stall.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

My wife has an 05 Avy. It runs pretty decent for having just a 5.3.

It depends on how serious he is about getting more power out of it. IMO I would go straight to a cam swap and possibly a stall. Other than that I can't see a big gain from any other mod. I think headers would be more of a benefit if you did a cam swap. The exhaust stock on them are pretty good. Especially the y pipe/catback.

I want to put a EPS cam in my wifes Avy but she has threatened me with my life if I touch it. LOL.

I did put an Outlaw CAI on it and it seemed to pick up a little power. It did pick up almost 2mpgs. It sounds like you are going to suck up small animals when you step down on the gas. I looked at the K&N, Volant and a few other CAI's and like the Outlaw the best.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 07-04-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

comp 54-455-11.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think we should know if he plans to track this thing alot before throwing the stall idea out there right off the bat, if he just wants some more power for driving around town and would like it to be more peppy then i suggest a CAI, exhaust, possibly some lower gears and a tune, the tuners really open the trucks up a bit cause you are able to get rid of the torque limiter that engages when you wanna punch it from stops or low speeds, not too mention the factory fuel and timing settings are weak cause it wasnt design for performance, JMO
Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
i think we should know if he plans to track this thing alot before throwing the stall idea out there right off the bat, if he just wants some more power for driving around town and would like it to be more peppy then i suggest a CAI, exhaust, possibly some lower gears and a tune, the tuners really open the trucks up a bit cause you are able to get rid of the torque limiter that engages when you wanna punch it from stops or low speeds, not too mention the factory fuel and timing settings are weak cause it wasnt design for performance, JMO

Good post.