Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Piston offset question engine building advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Piston offset question engine building advice please

so here it goes I have a set of foreged wiseco pistons that i sent to the machine shop to be balanced when i got them back he put them in a box with numbers indicating which piston is which number.... I think??? but shouldn't all the pistons weigh the same if its balanced and not matter which piston goes where???

So i went to assemble the engine yesterday Wiesco being offset pistons have a dimple thats supposd to face the front of the engine well 2 of them are wrong if i install the pistons in the cylinder number indicated on the box cylinders 5,6,7,8 the dimple faces the rear. but the valve reliefs line up

So should i just ignore the numbers on the box and install them according to the dimples or send them back to be rebalanced?????
Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 06chevy5.3
shouldn't all the pistons weigh the same if its balanced and not matter which piston goes where???
That is correct.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

so here it goes I have a set of foreged wiseco pistons that i sent to the machine shop to be balanced when i got them back he put them in a box with numbers indicating which piston is which number.... I think??? but shouldn't all the pistons weigh the same if its balanced and not matter which piston goes where???

So i went to assemble the engine yesterday Wiesco being offset pistons have a dimple thats supposd to face the front of the engine well 2 of them are wrong if i install the pistons in the cylinder number indicated on the box cylinders 5,6,7,8 the dimple faces the rear. but the valve reliefs line up

So should i just ignore the numbers on the box and install them according to the dimples or send them back to be rebalanced?????
Balancing has nothing to do with which cylinders the pistons go into.

You may want to call your machine shop and clear this whole thing up.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
Balancing has nothing to do with which cylinders the pistons go into.

You may want to call your machine shop and clear this whole thing up.
Not open for another day the engine is all together and im pretty sure he just gave me a piston box marked from a previos job and everybody is telling me to ignore those numbers
Old 07-04-2011, 03:35 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Not open for another day the engine is all together and im pretty sure he just gave me a piston box marked from a previos job and everybody is telling me to ignore those numbers
Out of curiosity, did you have this machine shop hone your block for these pistons or at least check to see what the piston-wall clearances will be?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why there are so many problems with engine building and bad things happening. If the machinest was any good each piston is fitted to each bore and each piston/pin/rod combo is balanced to the crank. So you just throw it together because you were confused about the forward marks on the piston. It probably will not matter because something more drastic may be in store for this engine. If something does not make sense to you, stop and figure it out or wait until the guy who knows what he is doing can explain it. Good luck with your new engine.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
Out of curiosity, did you have this machine shop hone your block for these pistons or at least check to see what the piston-wall clearances will be?
The block was bored 20 over last year and yes he wanted the spec sheet and pistons to check with. I bought a new crank cause my converter balloned and wiped out the thrust so i rebalanced it. I ball honed it before i put it together this yr

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
This is why there are so many problems with engine building and bad things happening. If the machinest was any good each piston is fitted to each bore and each piston/pin/rod combo is balanced to the crank. So you just throw it together because you were confused about the forward marks on the piston. It probably will not matter because something more drastic may be in store for this engine. If something does not make sense to you, stop and figure it out or wait until the guy who knows what he is doing can explain it. Good luck with your new engine.
You sound very pissy .... I did stop and figue it out that is why this post is here.. each piston assembley is balanced to the crank that is what i paid him to do.. I could be wrong but i never heard of a boring each cylinder different and specific to each piston in the box sounds a little over kill to me
Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea a lot of times they will mic the piston and then bore to match since the pistons may very slightly..... I would give them a call and find out whats up...
Old 07-05-2011, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MattSapp95_T/A
Yea a lot of times they will mic the piston and then bore to match since the pistons may very slightly..... I would give them a call and find out whats up...
I did and he conformed the writing on the box was not for me... my question was if they are all balanced "weighed" the same nothing to do with bore size at all... That was only brought up cause Z06boy had to come over here beating his chest like a wild silverback gorrila, insulting the my intelegance and machinist that has built prolly a couple hundred more engines than him... just guessing

If you had your pistons bore macthed than good for you... have a cookie and give yourself a pat on the back for going the extra mile

thank you for the people that awnsered my question and helped me out that what this forum is for correct???

If u guys wana argue the issue about bore sizing I'll make another post dedicated to it

Quick Reply: Piston offset question engine building advice please