Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

05 V, car starts then dies immediately??? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 V, car starts then dies immediately??? HELP!

So I got home from work today and let the car sit for 30 minutes before going back out to run errands. When I started it up it started fine but then died slowly after. Now it starts up and dies immediately after. Any ideas?

Facts (updated):
- Bad battery was replaced by Walmart today. Car run and idled fine for 5 minutes then I shut it off to eat breakfast. Came back out to drive home and it dies at the end of the apartment complex.
- Fuel pump does prime.
- VATS doesn't show on the NAV screen. I don't have the second key its 1.5 hrs away because I just moved to Houston.
- No CEL codes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Hung; 07-07-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a VATS(vehicle anti theft system) problem. Do you have another key you can try?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Yes I have an extra key but its at home about 1hr 15min away. I just moved three days ago. =/

Is there any way to verify that might be the issue without having the other key? Perhaps a light signal or indicator on the screen?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hung
Yes I have an extra key but its at home about 1hr 15min away. I just moved three days ago. =/

Is there any way to verify that might be the issue without having the other key? Perhaps a light signal or indicator on the screen?
When you start it now are there any security lights on the cluster. I thought it may prompt you of an issue on the NAV screen but Im not sure.

If its not a VATS issue the only other thing I could think of is your fuel pump took a crap and cant supply the pressure after it builds it enough to start. Putting a gauge off the fuel rail would tell you if thats an issue. But to me it sounds liek the computer is killing your injectors.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Teching In

I think you are right. The security light I think is yellow, with a car and a lock symbol over it on the upper right side. It's between the temp gauge and bottom left of the speedometer. =(

Otherwise I would've thought fuel pressure or MAF sensor. =/

It'd take me a while to go get the other key. I'm open to other ideas.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Launching!

I was thinking jammed fuel filter.

When I swapped ECMs I didn't have my VIN programmed in the new ECM so it had security warnings and a message on the screen said starting disabled. I couldn't start the car at all.

If your problem was a security issue, why would it even let you start the car?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsslow98
When you start it now are there any security lights on the cluster. I thought it may prompt you of an issue on the NAV screen but Im not sure.
This is the Nav screen.
Attached Thumbnails 05 V, car starts then dies immediately??? HELP!-theft.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

My guess is fuel pump. As Houdini said, if it was a security issue, it wouldn't let you start it at all.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Fuel pump, check all your fuel related fuses
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like it's not recognizing the key. When I cut a new key for my old Audi before getting it programmed the car did the same thing. It started up but shut off right away because it did not recognize the key.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Turn ignition on. Open the fuse box you will see a fat purple wire going into it on one of the connector pinns. Take a wire put it on the plus side of the battery that purple wire terminal car will crank and start and work if it is security issue
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
My guess is fuel pump. As Houdini said, if it was a security issue, it wouldn't let you start it at all.
Most VATS systems will let it start and when it detects a security issue it cuts the fuel to the injectors and kills it.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Huh. I have two reflashed ECUs. One works just fine, the other brings up the security warning on the nav screen and won't even start the car.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Teching In

bad battery. minor.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Aaiiic
Just put the one that won't start the car in and than follow the instructions above
Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Wow...continuation. The battery was bad, Walmart gave me a new one. I went home, installed it and it started up just normal. I let it run for like 5 minutes just fine. Then I shut it off. When I went back out there and started it up to leave, I got to the end of the apartment complex and it died on me. I figured maybe just jump it again it didn't have enough power yet. However now, it won't even turn over with a jumper cable on it. It will turn, just not start.

Fuel pump primes up I can hear it. I'm going outside to check all the fuses now. Could it really need reprogramming? I only left the car w/o power for like 30 min on my trip to Walmart and back. =(
Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hung
Wow...continuation. The battery was bad, Walmart gave me a new one. I went home, installed it and it started up just normal. I let it run for like 5 minutes just fine. Then I shut it off. When I went back out there and started it up to leave, I got to the end of the apartment complex and it died on me. I figured maybe just jump it again it didn't have enough power yet. However now, it won't even turn over with a jumper cable on it. It will turn, just not start.

Fuel pump primes up I can hear it. I'm going outside to check all the fuses now. Could it really need reprogramming? I only left the car w/o power for like 30 min on my trip to Walmart and back. =(
Have you checked your alternator?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Teching In

This is gonna be the next thing I check out when I get a day off.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cars starts, then turns off?(only proof read over first post-no time)

VATS(security system)

Do a 30 minute relearn... 10 minutes each....10-10-10..have a battery saver/tender on it,...turn key on to start, without starting,...you can do this without puting clutch in. then leave on for ten minutes or until security light goes off....turn key off....wait 5 seconds....turn key to crank..then leave on for ten minutes...etc...repeat for a grand total of three times.

Should relearn your key...and you should be good. Again, sorry but didn't read entire post or responses, sorry if it was covered.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default ??????

Turn ignition on. Open the fuse box you will see a fat purple wire going into it on one of the connector pinns. Take a wire put it on the plus side of the battery that purple wire terminal car will crank and start and work if it is security issue

Which fuse box? I am having a problem with the car not starting at all unless I jump the power leads on the Racetronic's harness and then it starts right up and runs fine.

Last edited by JimmiB; 07-17-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: show highlighted area

Quick Reply: 05 V, car starts then dies immediately??? HELP!