Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need help for 2001 TA side mirrors

Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help for 2001 TA side mirrors

I have a problem with loose side mirrors on my 2001 WS6 TA. It started on the passenger side. Thinking it was just a loose nut (usually found on the driver's side!!), I opened it up, only to find that there was a pot metal bracket that had broken. I tried JB welding it with only marginal success. I did not find any replacements on eBay, and the dealer would only sell the whole mirror assembly at $500 a pop.

A few months later someone sideswiped me, and the passenger mirror got taken care of in that repair process. Now, the driver's mirror is starting to do the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this thing (apart from getting sideswiped again)? Perfect world would be to find someone who makes copies of the bracket in steel, not pot metal. Second best would be to find a source of the pot metal brackets without the other stuff.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace it:

car-part.com

(Junk yard Meta-site.)
Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aha, Something up my alley. I have a 2002 WS6 and the driver mirror broke on me, it happened on my 96 T/A too. I looked at it and thought that if I had some kind of brace to put on it I could fix it. So i did, I used one of the small Band clamps opened up and withe the screw housing removed. First get enough length about 2 inches, then pry each end open a little so that you can get the mirror screws in to it, then connects the end to the small broken piece on the mirror (you put it over between the screw and the broken piece) then take the other end of the clamp and twist it down to go over the closest mounting bolt, don't worry about the looseness because as you tighten the mirror back to the door pillar it will pull the mirror back into place. I haven't had any trouble since i did mine last year. I also replaced my cracked dash paD this weekend. I was going to try to tape and glue it back together but when i took it out it was so brittle that i just got the main corners, laid it on the back length of a piece of carpet and traced it out, then I used a Box cutter and cut it about 1/4 inside the lines, as for the vent I Taped it to the bottom of the hole so I could retain my Vent and security light, then before i reinstalled it i got the plastic velcro fasteners and put the them on the dash where the go and put Gorilla glue on the backs of them before I put the carpet back in, Looks nice, the back of the carpet was white so i painted id black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help for 2001 TA side mirrors