Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Pacesetter LT's and off road Y pipe, Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Pacesetter LT's and off road Y pipe, Problems

Installed a full exhaust on my car, and now it runs like $hit some times. it has bad hesitation, till about 3K RPM, Then it goes like somebody hit NOS switch without me knowing (dont even have NOS). It doesn't do it all the time just periodically. I put about 125 miles on my car since the install and it has probaby done it about 10 times. Is my car possibly running rich or lean?
ALSO what is the ultimate fix for the Y banging on the floor? I put my car on the lift and had three people hang from it to bend it down, now there is about a one inch gap, and it actually bangs worse than before. I've heard of people using heater hose, which is rated for high temps, but wont that eventually melt??
Old 02-29-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

If your Y pipe is hanging down an inch and still banging, then you might wanna look into getting some new motor mounts & a tranny mount. Look into the Poly stuff it doesn't compress as much with time.

As far as the hesitation goes it's hard to nail down with what you have written. It could be that you pinched a wire on one of your 02's, or that one of your 02 sensors went bad.

You might have a bad spot on your throttle position sensor.

Check and make sure that all of your spark plug wires are tight & not shorted.

Maybe your fuel filter is getting clogged up.

It could be many different things.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Yeah Its a pretty hard diagnosis, everything is tight, new plugs, new fuel filter, all the 02 sensor wires look great. I was hopeing someone else encountered this same problem before, just to get an idea.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Launching!

possibly cracked a spark plug wire. Happened to me, true story. Mine wouldn't miss until after 4k
Old 02-29-2004, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info, it seemed like something of that nature, I guess i'll have to pick up a new set and see what happens
Old 03-01-2004, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I spent so much time getting my pacesetter Y pipe to fit that I took it off, sold it for $50 and welded up some duals. As far as your driveability issues, you're probably running rich. I have the occasional surge and irregular idle. I plan on getting dyno tuned in the near future to correct mine.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just double check everything to make sure you don't have anything loose, pinched, no leaks anywhere, etc. It's easy to miss something with all that goes into a header install...

As for the y-pipe banging, I agree with getting some poly mounts... I have a poly transmission mount and I only get the y-pipe touching when letting the clutch out at really low speeds (basically from a stand still and not giving much if any gas). Other than that, I don't get any banging... I've shifted multiple times at redline since I got the headers and I get zero banging... and I have less than a 1/4 inch clearance for my y-pipe and the floorboard.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

You really need to have a tech 2 hooked up while driving and see if it sets a code. I seriously doubt it's a fuel filter.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a peice of heater hose cut and screwed onto the floor board so the y-pipe would hit that and not the floor.

The y-pipe could be hitting the floor and creating knock which pulls power.

My car gained about 4 rwhp, the headers had to be tuned; when that was done I gained almost 4 times the amount of power (almost 16 rwhp).
Old 03-01-2004, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Cool, Thanks for the input guys. I plan on having it tuned, but was hoping to get by until I do a cam swap and get my heads ported.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol ya i'm also one of the ones who used the rubber hi temp hose to stop the banging, i put some where the header was hitting the k-member, solved that problem, then the ypipe was banging under the driverside floorboard, put some hose there too...worked well for about a week, but now at WOT, its sounds like complete sh*t, i'm definately thinking about ditching my whole exhaust system (except headers) and going with 2.5 duals either b4 or over the axle
Old 03-02-2004, 07:27 PM
STF Veteran

I tried the rubber hose and it didn't stop mine. I think my motor mount was shot. I have a poly tranny mount and replaced the drivers side motor mount with a poly mount. The motor mount was the only thing that cured my banging. Now I have no banging!!!