Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

installed new fuel pump and no pressue at the fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default installed new fuel pump and no pressue at the fuel rail

I just installed a brand new OEM fuel pump and the pump turns on and primes but I have pretty much 0 fuel pressure at the rail and the car won't start.

New fuel filter and the fuel flows through the filter but I'm just not getting pressure at the rail.

The pump I replaced would start the car with 20 psi at the rail and then it would lose the pressure within a minute and the car would stall.

What else could it possibly be? The lines aren't leaking anywhere that I can see.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume that you have the hoses mixed up on the top of the canister, I did this once on my 94 Z28 Camaro.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

I was looking at that but it seems highly unlikely. There's just not much room to even get them switched around. Would it hurt anything if I tried switching them around though. Also. it seems like that middle one has a poorly designed connector on it, could that be an issue?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

I looked at my hoses and there's no way I got them mixed up. The one will not even reach the connector on the other side and I was real careful when I did that to begin with.

Last edited by Spink; 07-06-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Could it possibly be anything electrical? Like a fuse or a relay? If it was anything electrical it wouldn't even be turning on at all though would it? The pump IS turning on and priming.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

I got a pump that was wired wrong, the hot and ground were opposite of where they should be. If I didn't catch it, it would have caused the pump to run backwards.

IDK what kind of pressure reading at the rail would have been caused. Just throwing that out there.

Also, watch out for kinked fuel line back near the tank. Those vinyl lines kink way easy.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

I wired mine exactly like the directions said and it's pumping fuel out the right way. I unhooked the line at the filter and when I turn the key it's spurting gas out so I'm guessing it's pumping gas the right direction and through the right line or could I be wrong? How would I check to see if the pump itself is wired wrong?

As I far as I can tell there's no way of hooking my gauge up to the line either before or right after the filter though, I don't have a compatible connector, to see exactly how much pressure is there at that point.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the way I installed the new pump though because it's doing exactly what the other one did but worse. Could be, and I'm going to double check all that tomorrow, but it seems like it has to be something else or possibly the new pump is bad as well.

Also, I noticed when I unscrew the gas cap it seems like the system isnt even pressurized at all. You hear no air coming out at all.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

Well, the fuel tank shouldn't be seeing pressure if it isn't returning fuel back to the tank.

Have you checked again after "priming" the system when you disconnected at the filter?

Also, when it was spurting gas out did expel any air or was it just a solid stream of fuel?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the slinky hose that goes from the pump itself to the top of the fuel sender assmebly?

If it is pinched, or not secured correclty it will pop off. You will here the pump prime but it will be sending the pumped fuel right back into the tank.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

For those who'd like to know and in case anyone has this problem in the future it ended up being the new pump was bad. Brand new Delco pump from Dave White Chevrolet in Sylvania OH. Took it back and they had another one shipped in about 2 hours later. They were real cool about it, really nice guys working there, didn't give me any hassel at all. Took it home, said a prayer, and installed it and it started right up. :

I guess this is also another good reason to use the trap door method. I was going to drop the tank. Did all the work until I got to the exhaust and saw there was no way it was coming out without cutting up my $700 catback and that wasn't going to happen.

Put everything back together and cut myself a trap door, thank god! I couldn't imagine having to do all that work again and I never even got to the hard part of actually dropping the tank, taking off the exhaust and putting it back together.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: installed new fuel pump and no pressue at the fuel rail