Sponsored by:

rockers/push rods installed still ticking/tapping

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rockers/push rods installed still ticking/tapping

One dumb night lead to a bent push rod ...well 2

took all push rods out installed with new ones...also installed new rockers...( had alot of play in 1 of them ...it was the same location as where i had a bent push rod .... )

So this is my dilema .......... Was told its as simple as pulling all the rockers and push rods on one side ...then install the push rods ..then install the rockers.... then torque to 22ft pounds... well i did this on both sides... the car started just fine!!! but still have the tap/tick

now what ??
Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What pushrods did you use, new stock ones or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what length?

Did you clean the new pushrods w/ solvent and blow out the centers w/ compressed air?

If you didn't follow either the GM tightening sequence or the EO/IC method (search), it's very likely you torqued several rockers w/ the lifter on the lobe ramp.

I'd recommend re-doing the install including lubing the pushrod ends and valvestem tips, following either procedure to ensure the rockers are torqued with the lifters on the base circle.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you the sequence shown in this post:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15096980-post12.html
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you mean by "a lot of play"? There may be an issue with the valve if the rocker was truly loose. Did the tick sound start immediately after the over rev? If so, the valve may be bent.