General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 sputter/skip

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 sputter/skip

I have a 98 trans-am, LS1 5.7l. It is all factory. About two months ago it started a small but very noticeable sputter only in overdrive. I thought it was bad gas so started treating the gas, it never cleared up. Now it will hesitate throughout acceleration losing some power. It is almost like a skip but some what different. I've changed the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF and checked for any vacuum leaks. Nothing has changed. I don't want to fall into changing plugs, wires, sensors, etc. With my luck it would be something simple $500 later. Please help and thanks in advance.

come on now, someone had advise I know. Am I the only one who has had this problem? Help a man out!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Well i havent had this problem in my camaro but did in my gm turck,,, and was told to check the coolant temp sensor.. also check your fuel pressure,,, just my 2 cents...
Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing to do is check for any active or stored codes - some don't illuminate the SES light.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check plugsand wires
Old 07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ortiz11b
Well i havent had this problem in my camaro but did in my gm turck,,, and was told to check the coolant temp sensor.. also check your fuel pressure,,, just my 2 cents...
good advice to check the fuel pressure. I had a similar problem with my 2000 T/A and it turned out being the fuel pump.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Teching In

^agreed, check the fuel pressure at the rail if you can, possible fuel pump, also has any work been done to the car recently, possiblity of a bent/kinked fuel line
Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Teching In

I have had it checked of any codes as the light was not lit up, just figured I would try something. No work has been done to the car since I've had it, going on 2 years. Now I did find the hose that runs from the secondary PCV valve was deteriorated. I fixed it the other day with some help from some guys from another thread. I don't know if it being like that could have caused other problems or not. The guy I bought it from said the plugs and wires were just changed then. I wouldn't hang my hat on his words though.

Last edited by T-Bonz; 07-07-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You did check for codes? "Secondary PVC valve" or one of the hoses to a secondary air check valve?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Teching In

yeah, they were no codes nor have any light ever flashed across the panel. It will sputter really bad pulling hills (under load). I have purposely went to long hills to try and make it kick a code out but it has yet done so. I did replaced the hoses going to the secondary pcv valve, or thats what I think it is called (located on the drivers side valve cover with a hose going to the other valve cover and somewhere else)
Old 07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Teching In

my vote is still get your fuel pressure checked... a weak fuel pump will work fine at low rpm,,, but when your under a load it cant keep up... thus leaning out the mixture.. check the pressure at the fuel rail... also a bad fuel pressure regulator could cause the same effects... think autozone has a fuel pressure gauge you can borrow... call and check you local parts stores.. good luck...

My truck had a bad coolant temp sensor,, that cause same effects... but would dump too much fuel in when under load.. havent heard to many of these sensors going out on the ls1 motors thou.... good luck
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Teching In

alright quick update. I went by and got a fuel pressure gauge kit. hooked it up on the fuel rail. turn the switch on the gauge reads 58psi then drops to 48psi after the pump primes. crank it and it holds steady at 58psi. drove it around and could see the gauge at all times and it stayed between 56-58psi. didin't even change when it was sputtering like I explained earlier. Nothing is wrong with the pump or the regulator as far as I can tell. Any for suggestions? Please don't be bashfull.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Teching In

I am having a similar issue to yours. Did you ever work it out?

Quick Reply: LS1 sputter/skip