PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls7 MAF - on custom split/dual Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls7 MAF - on custom split/dual Intake?

I am fabricating a dual intake system for my Ls1 swapped Rx7. I tried to make the engine bay pretty and de-cluttered, eventhough this car is a driver. To that end, a split intake system is in the works to branch out to the left and right front fenderwells to draw air in from underneath the pop-up headlights The dual intakes will merge in front of the throttle body. The OE 2002 Ls1/6 MAF housing will not fit with this application, and I want to try to use the much smaller Ls7 credit card MAF.

The problem I anticipate is the turbulence caused by the merging of the two air streams right at the junction where the MAF will be located. I simply will not have the room to have more than an inch or two before the sensor to straighten out airflow.

From my research, the older Ls1/6 MAFs did not like turbulent air, and it would screw with the readings, and make it diffucult to tune. Does the Ls7 MAF react the same way? Any advice to make this design work?

See attached pic for example of the collector (the pic is of a plastic one, but mine will be aluminum).

Thanks,
-a
Attached Thumbnails Ls7 MAF - on custom split/dual Intake?-25857c_lg.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're dead set on running a MAF, you should be able to run it fine just in front of the throttle body several inches away from the merge point giving the air a chance to straighten out.

Have you considered a speed density tune for this situation?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redtan
If you're dead set on running a MAF, you should be able to run it fine just in front of the throttle body several inches away from the merge point giving the air a chance to straighten out.

Have you considered a speed density tune for this situation?
Thanks for the reply.

I have considered SD, but from my limited understanding of the pros/cons of each...SD is better for power, but not as good for changing environment seen by a street car. Based on that, I'd prefer to use MAF.
-a
Old 07-07-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

but not as good for changing environment seen by a street car
Do you plan on taking your car to Denver? If not, I would not be worried about the changing environment.

I've ran the same SD tune for the past 2 years now just fine. Through single digit temperatures in the dead of New England winter, through 90* humid summers and everywhere in between. Not once did I have to change the tune to adjust for the varying weather conditions experienced by the car.

So if you have the ability to do an SD tune, do it.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redtan
Do you plan on taking your car to Denver? If not, I would not be worried about the changing environment.

I've ran the same SD tune for the past 2 years now just fine. Through single digit temperatures in the dead of New England winter, through 90* humid summers and everywhere in between. Not once did I have to change the tune to adjust for the varying weather conditions experienced by the car.

So if you have the ability to do an SD tune, do it.
Thanks. My knowledge of SD vs MAF is only based on the reading Ive done here, and google. So, its academic at best. Glad to hear you had good experiences with your SD....I'm in the north east too. Who did your SD tune?

However, I'd still like to get a better understanding how the Ls7 MAF would react in a turbulent location, as described above.
-a
Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Get a honeycomb airflow straightener and solder/glue it upstream of the MAF, but after the merge. It'll help kill the turbulence and solidify your MAF readings. Google is your friend.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are the honeycomb airflow straighteners.

Airflow Straightener
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I think those air straighteners will do the job.
-a
Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I did it myself with hptuners. Pretty simple once you read up and know what you're doing.

Quick Reply: Ls7 MAF - on custom split/dual Intake?