General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance

Is there any one on here who regularly deals with Auto Insurance company's who could recomend the better insurance company's to cover our cars and trucks.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wawanessa is by far the best insurance company out... State farm and allstate are also good too... Geico blows.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never herd of Wawanessa.. I live in colorado.
I was thinking of trying Nation wide or 21 century/farmers.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
Wawanessa is by far the best insurance company out... State farm and allstate are also good too... Geico blows.
If you are dealing with insurance companies on a regular basis as the OP requested, please explain your answer. "Geico blows" doesn't qualify as an answer. Besides the highest rates around, why is Allstate good? Why is State Farm good?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Panther427
Never herd of Wawanessa.. I live in colorado.
I was thinking of trying Nation wide or 21 century/farmers.
I dont know much about Insurance companies but I live in Colorado as well and I have Farmers and have been very satisfied.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would've thought that specialty or collector car insurance would be the only way to go with these cars, as even the friendliest insurance company won't pay out enough money in case something ever happens to these cars. I played around with Hagerty and got a quote for about $200 a year for the car being valued at $16K (waaaaaaaaaaay more than it's worth) in the event of a total loss; I'm allowed to drive the car up to 5K miles a year which is plenty.

Then again, I don't exactly trust Hagerty's claim that they'll honor their side of the "agreed" value that we would theoretically place on these cars. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, as I've been trying to figure out the best way to completely cover my T/A outside of standard insurance companies and their policies-I'd have to kill someone if all I got for my beloved T/A is the 4K or whatever that the "blue book" says it's worth...
Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why do you guys dislike Geico? My 02 WS6 is fully covered with increased limits 100k/300k at $368 / 6 months. This is after I just totaled my old car 8 months ago in a claim worth $11,800 (2000 Trans Am Non WS6). My rates didnt even go up from it. Do you guys get better rates then that? I thought I was already getting a good deal but interested if people are getting better rates... this is in IL btw.

Anyway to the OP... I've only had Geico for the past something like 5 years, but I have had no problems. My rates have been ok, and when I totalled my car last year everything was problem free with the claim, and I thought I got a fair amount. I recommend at least trying Geico.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Geico has worked fine for me for a few years. I got rear ended by my neighbor parking on my 99 TA, and it only left a little scratch. I drove it to their claim office, i showed the lady the paint damage, walked away with a $680 check to respray and rebadge the rear bumper the correct way. No hastles, no problems. I DID have to mention the badge being reapplied, the Pontiac filler being replaced and the overall condition of the car. But usually if they see you have half a clue about what your working with or are looking for they leave you alone. Progressive sucks. MY friend got recommended to a terrible shop, and they gave him a hard time all 4 times it had to go back in 3 months, finally bitching about how their overall cost exceeded what the payout on the car would have been. Not that they didnt fix everything properly in the end, but it took way too many phone calls (none returned) and way too many inspections, test drives and outside opinions. He dropped them shortly after this incident.

On a sidenote when i insured my hawk fully, they advised me it was a waste to spend all that money on an older car. The lady gasped when i quoted her the book value of the car, plus the mileage. So as long as they keep my rate HALF of what allstate was (with 1/2 the deductables) i have no complaints.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
I would've thought that specialty or collector car insurance would be the only way to go with these cars
Collector insurance is not for everyone. But if you can meet the requirements, it's a great and affordable option.

I've posted about this many times in many insurance threads. I've had this sort of coverage for several years now on my garage queen cars ('98 and '71), but this is not appropriate coverage for cars that are used as general transportation.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Teching In

I work for an agent in TX for a Big Name Insurance. You wanna look at the service they give you. Right now most insurances will not pay what your car is truly worth (custom inside and out). They pay up to only a $1000 in custom so if you have more than that you can be screwed if totaled. Every insurance company is different; some with great service, some with poorly service, and some with both. Depending on what state and city you live in will determine your rates as well as credit and driving background. Some states are trying to re-coop their money due to heavy losses in the past 2 years due to weather and driving habits. So there is a big increase happening with your up-coming renewal and future renewals. Not everyone will be affected, and for those who don't, you're very lucky.

21st Century (Farmers), Essurance (Allstate), and other internet insurance companies will probably save you more than your local insurance agent due to it is ONLY an internet company and will not interact much with a live person unless on phone. I don't know how they are on taking care of the claims.

Farmers, StateFarm, Allstate, and etc are all on the same level to a point. Progressive and Farmers made the Hall of Shame on customer service on a survey MSN.com put out. All the others didn't make either list so that can be good and bad. Hope that makes sense.

If you want great customer service, you will have to hunt for it. Insurance agents who really take care of their customers are beginning to be non-existent due to the big companies wanting to push out the well experienced agents for low wage and non-experience agent that can be pushed out faster.

Search to see which agent has more experienced years in the business. Usually those will bend over backwards for you and tell you straight up what you need and don't need so you don't end up wasting your hard earned cash.

Good luck on the hunt for the right insurance and price for your needs.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used to be an assistant manager at a body shop. Geico loved to half *** repairs... And ALWAYS used aftermarket parts whenever possible. Good enough reason? They're fine until you get into an accident.. So I hope you enjoy shitty fitting aftermarket parts and half assed repairs due to them being cheap.

It really sucked for us, since we were the middle man an had no say in what parts geico used. They would only pay us for the aftermarket prices they found and only pay us to fix it their way.

Wawanessa is big in southern California. I wasnt sure where you were from but they're not in too many places in the US.

State Farm and Allstate are just better to deal with when it comes to giving the customers a quality repair from my experience. They are more likely to "fix it right" and will fork up the extra cash to do so.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

I've always used state farm and never had any issues, but I would recommend calling around and checking rates, and it seems like different companies handle different customers/situations better and can vary from area to area.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Collector insurance is not for everyone. But if you can meet the requirements, it's a great and affordable option.
True, but I'm always under the impression that few people drive their F bodies; for some reason I always notice the threads and posts about how people put negative miles on their F body in any given year.

As for the 'OP, I've been with AAA for over 10 years and the service has been excellent. Although not the cheapest, they've always been there for me and I've appreciated it. Get a quote, it couldn't hurt...
Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. We all wanna save money but sometimes that 10-20 dollars a months savings is NOT worth it if you get a shitty repair job.. But Allstate's quote for me was double what i pay at geico. NO way i can swing that
Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Panther427
Thanks guys. We all wanna save money but sometimes that 10-20 dollars a months savings is NOT worth it if you get a shitty repair job.. But Allstate's quote for me was double what i pay at geico. NO way i can swing that
Check out State Farm.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a bad experience with statefarm, they declined to help replace my fathers roof (30 years old) so he can sell the house, after like insuring with them for like 15+ years or something. Also they declined to insure my old 96 trans am, albeit i was 20 at the time with a perfect driving record.

As far as car insurance goes, geico paid for everything in my accident, I wouldn't mind going back to geico, my car was totaled so i only got a devaluated check for $1800 but they paid for everything as far as medical bills, property damage. I now use progressive since it has all the coverage i need, under 90 a month. They also have an option to cover aftermarket or custom accessories which is a big plus, i don't think geico covers that.

I cant really give u a straight opinion because i absolutely HATE insurance companies, but I hope my experiences help you choose the right company. GL OP
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
i had a bad experience with statefarm, they declined to help replace my fathers roof (30 years old) so he can sell the house, after like insuring with them for like 15+ years or something. Also they declined to insure my old 96 trans am, albeit i was 20 at the time with a perfect driving record.

As far as car insurance goes, geico paid for everything in my accident, I wouldn't mind going back to geico, my car was totaled so i only got a devaluated check for $1800 but they paid for everything as far as medical bills, property damage. I now use progressive since it has all the coverage i need, under 90 a month. They also have an option to cover aftermarket or custom accessories which is a big plus, i don't think geico covers that.

I cant really give u a straight opinion because i absolutely HATE insurance companies, but I hope my experiences help you choose the right company. GL OP
Good informative post. Thanks! I also hate insurance companies but they have become a nasty compulsory necessity. It appears that every person will have a different take on each company. A lot may depend on the office and manager you are dealing with. In this short thread we have heard owners who love State Farm, hate State Farm, hate Geico, love Geico. No surprises.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Good informative post. Thanks! I also hate insurance companies but they have become a nasty compulsory necessity. It appears that every person will have a different take on each company. A lot may depend on the office and manager you are dealing with. In this short thread we have heard owners who love State Farm, hate State Farm, hate Geico, love Geico. No surprises.
TY,
I Buy a car for 15k.. drive it for 4 years,and they cut me a check for $1800 BUT paid for all my medical bills, a portion of my car rental. Would be nice to pay for lost wages but thats not their responsibility. They did everything that was in my policy, but I will say this, they did everything in there power not to pay for anything.. I mean my agent went through my car and said nothing was valuable which imo was BS.. I mean it was a 98 mustang.., it was babied and ran better than factory w/ near perfect paint. After it was sitting in a auto auction lot for 3 days, they parted out my car prior to it going for auction.. so the auction yard paid me 2k dollars in stolen audio equipment inwhich, ironically was worth moar than the my agent appraised my totaled vehicle was worth.

If it means anything, I got hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light and t boned me.

In regards to OP, I think the best way to decide which insurance company to do bidness with is to first figure out how much your car is worth, a fbody, depending on a number of factors, should be worth about $8k-15k. Then skim through each company to see who gives you the quote, I tend to go with companies that have good perks. I like progressive because they have an option to cover aftermarket parts, and they have roadside assistance, car rental reimbursement, medical stuff, and they have a good loyalty program. Also consider some that have ticket forgiveness (like the general ), and minor accident forgiveness ( like progressive ).

Also consider state minimums as far as coverage, your not going out and saying to yourself 'hey im gonna go out and have an accident today' and depending where you live, you don't need small deductibles or even full coverage if its paid off, in the end if you get in a major accident.. or even a minor one.. it would be better to pocket the savings since your not going to get a payout for what your car is actually worth. (from my experience)

So say your car is worth 10k, and u get in an accident tomorrow and its totaled, your prolly going to get a check for $4k.. UGH i HATE how they do business :/ and its bad enough its forcefully imposed on us to begin with (in most states?) ..Sorry if I'm being politically biased btw, but I just hate how they do business and its never a pleasureful experience. I was content with my experience, and if geico gave me a lower quote I would prolly switch over but for 5 bucks more a month i get to cover my aftermarket parts, which is a plus for me. Although if im able to go from say.. $80 a month to $40 a month, then im jumping on that.

OP, I hope you find what your looking for, and Goodluck
Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

In regards to OP, I think the best way to decide which insurance company to do bidness with is to first figure out how much your car is worth, a fbody, depending on a number of factors, should be worth about $8k-15k.
You will not find an insurance company anywhere in this country that will currently pay out $15k for an F-body on a standard-type insurance policy. You would need to go with a collector/agreed value type policy, or some sort of policy that's based on an appraisal, if you want that level of coverage.

So say your car is worth 10k, and u get in an accident tomorrow and its totaled, your prolly going to get a check for $4k.. UGH i HATE how they do business :/
This is the sort of thing you can avoid with collector/agreed value policies. Of course, those have special restrictions and won't work for people that use these cars as daily drivers.

FWIW, for my daily drivers I have State Farm. I've been using them for 15 years now, my overall experience with them has been as good as anyone could ever hope for with an insurance company.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You will not find an insurance company anywhere in this country that will currently pay out $15k for an F-body on a standard-type insurance policy. You would need to go with a collector/agreed value type policy, or some sort of policy that's based on an appraisal, if you want that level of coverage.

This is the sort of thing you can avoid with collector/agreed value policies. Of course, those have special restrictions and won't work for people that use these cars as daily drivers.

FWIW, for my daily drivers I have State Farm. I've been using them for 15 years now, my overall experience with them has been as good as anyone could ever hope for with an insurance company.
I use state farm as well. I don't have a single complaint against them.