LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Clutch Help Please !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Clutch Help Please !!!!

Ok heres the scoop , I recently purchased a 1997 formula trans am ws6 from my cousin.... The problem is he replaced the clutch about a month ago, he was out driving it one night and the clutch messed up . Not sure what happened.. So now every time I press the clutch there is a bad squeak that comes from the clutch and if I press it all the way down it stalls the motor.... Does anyone have any ideas where to start... I have it jacked up on jack stands .... Could it be the throw out bearing, the slave cylinder.... Please help dying to drive it..... Thanks for the help
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the slave, pull forkout, remove aluminum housing that slave bolts to you should be able to see a little in their, good luck. did he replace the pilot and throwout. I'd just count on a bad install.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like a bad throwout bearing.

Unbolting the slave and its aluminum housing will let you look inside to see whats going on, like pro94lt said, but you can't really see a whole lot without taking the transmission out completely.

If you decide to drop the tranny, which isn't as hard as it sounds, just make sure you've got good help or a tranny jack because our T56's are around 130lbs.

Gotta remove your center console and unbolt your shifter, drain your trans fluid, unbolt the torque arm and driveshaft, disengage the clutchfork, unplug the various solenoids on the drivers side of the tranny and reverse light switch on the passenger side. Then get a jack under the transmission and unbolt the crossmember and the 8 bolts that hold it to the bellhousing. The top two are sort of a pain to get to, might have to tip the tranny back a bit to reach them.

Then slide/wiggle the transmission back and out and you've got a clear shot at your throwout bearing and clutch. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like its the throwout bearing. My dad had the same issue with his vette and thats what it was.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Default thanks for the help

Im not sure exactly what was done to the clutch cause about a week after my cousin had it done he died so wasnt able to ask him anything about it.... just trying to figure it out so maybe I dont have to pull tranny out.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No way around it.... you have to pull the trans to get at the throwout bearing.