Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dripping Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dripping Coolant

I just got home from a ride and on the way back I washed the car off at self wash car wash. When I got home I looked under the car and noticed that there was something dripping (about a 2 minute ride from the CW).

It looks orange like the dexcool but I can't see where it would / could be leaking. I have replaced the thermostat (to a 160) months ago and just recently did the TB bypass weeks ago. I have had no issues (at least I don't think) until today. I only have had it out probably like 8 times though this winter.

The levels don't look low but I popped the radiator cap and started the car up. The coolant was at the top to start and then dropped when it hit temp and I put some more in and capped it up.

Could I have done something when doing the TB bypass? What are the signs of air in the lines? What could I have screwed up if air was in the lines?

It was leaking and dripping right under the front cross-member.

any help appreciated...
- a very nervous Johnny5
Old 02-29-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

I would check the areas from the tb bypass. I don't believe it would leak just because of air in the lines. Also check around the water pump as the gaskets could be leaking.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the engine not running hot I doubt you have an air problem, sounds like it's either the bypass or thermo area. Good luck with the fix and keep us posted on what you find.

Al
Old 02-29-2004, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

I'll have to take a look again when I get it in the air so I can see things a bit better

I'll double check the thermostat and TB area. I triple check the TB bypass kit and no wet areas to be found (by touch).

If it is the thermostat can I just pull it and seal it with RTV or something (after making sure all the stuff is cleaned up? I hope I wouldn't need a new one.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

even if you do need a new one I think they are really cheap
Old 02-29-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My water pump gaskets were trashed when I did my cam swap. Before the swap it was leaking coolant. I replaced the gaskets and doesnt leak anymore. The coolant came from many different places under the car so it was hard to determine where it was coming from. Most of it was dripping out from the k-member, and some other off the back of the oil pan and even the tranny, all from the water pump gaskets.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a similar problem and it was my waterpump. They will leak when they are about to go out. My suggestion is the get a new waterpump and I will almost guarranty that will fix the problem.