Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

broken plastic shift fork pads

Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broken plastic shift fork pads

I purchased the after market extended warrarty, I also have heard that the dealer would use plastic pads to repair it; and the aftermarket pads are bronze. Does anyone know of a repair place in Houston that would honor an extended warranty that you would recommend?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Oem uses the plastic type pads. They are perfectly fine to use for most applications.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Okay thanks.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:21 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by thesource
Oem uses the plastic type pads. They are perfectly fine to use for most applications.
Agreed. I actually prefer the "plastic" pads over the bronze ones. They're not just generic plastic, as they are engineered to resist wear. Bronze is a very soft metal, and when riding in a hardened steel sleeve, they tend to wear excessively into the side walls of the pad. In turn this creates some slop in the trans. Even though bronze is structurally stronger, its not necessarily a good thing. It takes the "plastic" pads about a decade to become brittle and start breaking.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TDP
Agreed. I actually prefer the "plastic" pads over the bronze ones. They're not just generic plastic, as they are engineered to resist wear. Bronze is a very soft metal, and when riding in a hardened steel sleeve, they tend to wear excessively into the side walls of the pad. In turn this creates some slop in the trans. Even though bronze is structurally stronger, its not necessarily a good thing. It takes the "plastic" pads about a decade to become brittle and start breaking.

Interesting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken plastic shift fork pads