LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

355 LE2 build pictures!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 355 LE2 build pictures!

I blew a head gasket back in may and have seen been slowly rebuilding and collecting parts. So far I have the major parts out of the way: short block, heads, and cam.

Here are some pics of when I took it out and when I got the short block done.

My main helper ^^

Paint is FORD red

Heads and Cam from LE.

And me being bored and mocking up the engine until all the misc. parts get here !

However when I was looking through my box of gaskets and seals from felpro I found that I had these extra ones and I have no idea as to where they go.

The rest of the parts are coming from summit and I still need to get my Competition clutch stage 2, 30# injectors, and TPiS TB.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Launching!

nice build! as for the extra gaskets.. if you bought the whole gasket kit like i did then they send you some extras, one is for a oil cooler and the others im not sure lol but you dont need them.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not AI, no one cares
Old 07-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by food nd cars
However when I was looking through my box of gaskets and seals from felpro I found that I had these extra ones and I have no idea as to where they go.
One looks to be a waterpump seal (can't really tell), but it looks to be the same diameter and perhaps dampening o-rings for the opti shaft that goes into the cam for an OBDII opti?
I might get "shbox'd" on this one.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks awesome! I'm thinking about doing the same thing once mine needs to be rebuilt but the stupid thing wont blow up lol, I'm gonna keep an eye for updates .

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I might get "shbox'd" on this one.
I'm telling ya, he comes out of no where and is like, "I got this" then boom SHBOX'D

Last edited by ZFreie; 07-09-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Cause Im stupid...
Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looking good man! Your going to love the LE heads
Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Sorry to ask but can u post any signature or mark LE leaves on heads. I just want to see a picture. Some of my friends dont believe me i have le3s they think that he puts the same on all heads.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crazybird
Sorry to ask but can u post any signature or mark LE leaves on heads. I just want to see a picture. Some of my friends dont believe me i have le3s they think that he puts the same on all heads.
yeah when i get a chance. I can say right now that he does not stamp the same on every head.. He stamped LE2 on the rear right corner of my heads
Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lttransam
nice build! as for the extra gaskets.. if you bought the whole gasket kit like i did then they send you some extras, one is for a oil cooler and the others im not sure lol but you dont need them.
There "is" supposed to be a gasket in between the block and the oil filter adapter right? A circular paper gasket with two holes? Then there is a one circular rubber seal the goes in between the adapter and the oil cooler.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking great so far man! Don't know what those other gaskets are for though. Its been a long time since I rebuilt mine.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

I'm having second thoughts about the 30# SVO injectors. Anybody care to share their thoughts or experiences?

Added:

Would these 32's be a better choice?

Last edited by food nd cars; 07-09-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be fine with the 30# injectors and a walbro 255 pump.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Which cam did you get?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Its LE's newer style smog legal cam.

Does anyone near sacramento CA have a water pump seal install tool?
Or know where to get one for cheap? I remember awhile back there were some for like 12 bucks.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome. Now post more pics!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

I used a socket that was the same outer diameter as the water pump drive. Put the gasket on the socket, meet the end up with the water pump drive, use a little spit ( I feel that's the best way as it will dry and oil will make it leak eventually) and slowly slide it off the socket right onto the WP drive. Worked the first time for me and no leaks.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
I used a socket that was the same outer diameter as the water pump drive. Put the gasket on the socket, meet the end up with the water pump drive, use a little spit ( I feel that's the best way as it will dry and oil will make it leak eventually) and slowly slide it off the socket right onto the WP drive. Worked the first time for me and no leaks.
ok did i completely F myself then? I replaced all the seals on the timing cover already.. WP, Opti, and crank seals. Instead of putting on the cover and then the seals..

Can the timing cover be successfully installed with all the seals already pressed in?

Sorry im tired.. I mean the WP seal.. Can I install the timing cover with the new WP seal already install into the timing cover?

Last edited by food nd cars; 07-10-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 AM
TECH Regular

You sure can, but you definitely inverted the inner seal for the WP (I did the exact same thing you did) therefore ruining the seal. As long as it didn't rip then you can use it again with the method I described or by spending a couple bucks.

If the seal is ruined you'll be better off spending $13 on a new timing cover gasket set. I ruined one when I installed the WP seal then the timing cover. The WP seal itself is more expensive ($18-$20).
Old 07-10-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok did i completely F myself then? I replaced all the seals on the timing cover already.. WP, Opti, and crank seals. Instead of putting on the cover and then the seals..

Can the timing cover be successfully installed with all the seals already pressed in?

Sorry im tired.. I mean the WP seal.. Can I install the timing cover with the new WP seal already install into the timing cover?

I strongly suggest that you don't do it that way. Install the timing cover then install the water pump seal afterwards. If you have an old caulking tube cut the spout off it and cut it to size, then use it to slide on water pump seal. The pump seal is the most tricky part of the cover install as they damage easily and make a hell of an oily mess if you get them wrong.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Launching!

There "is" supposed to be a gasket in between the block and the oil filter adapter right? A circular paper gasket with two holes? Then there is a one circular rubber seal the goes in between the adapter and the oil cooler.
in my lt1/lt4 re build book it says there isnt any gaskets between the adapter and the block.. but if your running a oil cooler then there will be more gaskets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 355 LE2 build pictures!