LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Noise reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise reduction?

Wondering if anyone has tried doing any noise reduction in their LS4. Maybe it's just my car in particular but the GXP seems to be fairly loud inside at all speeds, especially compared to my 09' Malibu. I know that's a bad comparison but still I'd like to bring the road noise down a hair. Has anyone tried anything? A lot of noise seems to be air related. I've also heard of some KYBAGX adjustable struts exist too which may help.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

my gxp is quite nice on the hwy, maby you have a bad bearing or loud tires
Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

some one has put up a link but you can buy these rolls of stuff that you would typically use for your roof put you put it down on the metal under the carpet and it helps with noise alot
Old 07-10-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gxp-miller-gxp
some one has put up a link but you can buy these rolls of stuff that you would typically use for your roof put you put it down on the metal under the carpet and it helps with noise alot
Its sound deadening material. There's several brands, e-dead, dynamat, fatmat, I've seen some at hardware stores that does the same thing, but is alot cheaper.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GXP is extremely quiet. Well except for the engine noises lol. What kind of tires are you using?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

I just put brand new Michelin A/S Sport Plus on, had the car aligned and fixed a rear sway bar linkage problem. Most of the noises I've realized are now coming from an air leak in the right rear passenger window, the small pane to be exact. I can push out on it and the air stops leaking. There is also a buzzing noise coming from the dash seems to be worse when it's cold out, not sure what that is. Other noises come when I hit bumps etc. There is also noise coming from the DOD lifters tapping (which have just been replaced). I've had a lot of bad experience with a local dealership who did about 10k in warranty work on this car in a matter of a month. New trans, lifters, wheel hubs (ABS/TC/SC light), front right axle etc. A few weeks after the work I noticed sway bar clunks when I turn and my battery was loose enough for the car not to start. Took it back and they tightened it up.

I decided to go looking and I found missing bolts...not sure but I'm guessing the first pic that mounting bolt isn't suppose to be missing not sure about the other two. Not sure what issues that would cause, can't be good.

Here is a link to the pics...it's legit.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/13628733/1/Car?h=103d17
Old 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your whole car is falling apart lol
Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Yeah instead of GXP, I should change it to TSB or something. Pretty sure they are all covered here!

Last edited by redlightrampage; 07-10-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Teching In

sound deadener showdown has great information and great products. i have 40 sq ft of MLV, roughly 20 CLD tiles, and some CCF in a 2006 Monte Carlo. Road noise was greatly reduced. plus no squeeks, no rattles. If your serious about quieting your ride, this is the best way to go.

Quick Reply: Noise reduction?