LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car running really rich

Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car running really rich

I installed a ltcc on my 1997 TA the other day and it is hard to start sometimes and it runs rich. The green light is solid on the ltcc box with no red light, but the spark plugs are turning black after a few min of run time. It is defiantly running rich and it throws code P0118; the car runs a little rough but not too bad, it is just getting too much fuel and will smooth out at higher rpms.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I have figured out it is the coolant temp sensor; but what one the one in the water pump or the one in the head? The temp seems to read correctly on the dash. Will a bad coolant sensor cause the pcm to dump fuel? I also noticed it only starts hard when it is hot, if it is cold it starts easier.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by henry172
From what I have figured out it is the coolant temp sensor; but what one the one in the water pump or the one in the head? The temp seems to read correctly on the dash. Will a bad coolant sensor cause the pcm to dump fuel? I also noticed it only starts hard when it is hot, if it is cold it starts easier.
the one in the water pump is for the gauge. the one in the head feeds the computer
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
the one in the water pump is for the computer. the one in the head feeds the gauge
Fixed
Old 07-09-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ I figured it out; I unplugged the wire from the one in the water pump and used a volt meter to check the yellow wire; sure enough I had 0v instead of 5v like it should be. So I pulled on the wire where I had it crimped together and it pulled apart easy I checked the other side and found it had 5v. So a little solder and shrink wrap and I plugged it back in. And I was shocked how much better the car ran; darn near as smooth as glass. Now I just installed new plugs, but ran the car for like 30min with the bad wire and running really rich; the new plugs are slightly black already. Should I go ahead and change the plugs again or will they clean themselves up now that it is running correctly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car running really rich