Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd Gear Grind Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gear Grind Question...

I've been having a problem with 3rd gear scratching for quite some time. Started shortly after I bought the car and I just thought it was the sloppy shifter, but it still does it after I bought my MGW. When shifting, If I let the shifter guide its way to 3rd it scratches (almost like its getting caught between 3rd and 5th??) but if I guide it in by pushing up from neutral and keeping pressure to the left almost as if I was trying to go back to first, It doesn't make a sound. I can shift as fast as I want with no grinding as long as I guide it in, but that doesn't make for very quick shifts and is a pain in the ***. It has never scratched going into 3rd on downshift either, only shifting 2-3. It's hard to explain what's going on but know its not right. The MC is keeps getting air in it so I know that is not helping the situation and will be ordering a Tick soon, but not sure that's the problem being other gears are fine except going to 4th under high RPM but have read that's due to the crappy MC. I'll also be changing the tranny fluid when I change the MC. My question is this a common problem and what could be going on?? I'm hoping its not a synchro

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a similar scratch/grind for a little while but I got it ALL the time shifting into 3rd at any load/rpm from any gear. Only way I could have it not grind was to rev match the shift (this made me think synchro). I finally finished tearing down the trans yesterday to find a worn synchro sleve which I believe tobe the culprit. Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: 3rd Gear Grind Question...