Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 Sensor - Technical questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 Sensor - Technical questions

So I still need some help with my POS for now...with sparknotes.

LT header install, melted O2 sensor to the header (installer admitted it was his mistake) unfortunately it melted the factory clip a little on one side....fast forward. We extended wires manually and the factory clip seemed ok, so we plugged a new male end into the female, factory clip....ever since then the car 'searches' for idle when the clutch is pushed in and the RPMs come down.

Installer hooks up scanner and is reading the O2s, its running lean, but with the Frost tune, I expected it to be lean. HOWEVER, every once and a while, at idle and when the RPMs dropped, the O2 voltage would drop to zero for a few frames....here in lies the question.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Are my idle/driveability issues all because this terminal is damaged? Would an o2 voltage of 0 cause wacky fueling...enough to make my idle very strange (fluctuate between 500-1000RPMs when the clutch is pushed in and I am decelling)? Is it safe to just cut, before the factory clip (upstream of any damage) and extend the wires from there manually?

Just wanted to ask before I try something else.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drove the car again; no SES lights, but it stumbles when accelerating and when I push the clutch in the RPMs drop to 500 or so, car almost stalls out.

When it is idling, it seems to sit around 800RPMs pretty smooth, but from behind the car it sounds like the car is missing or something, like instead of the exhaust note, it is like a clicking..

UPDATE:

let the car idle for a few minutes, idling kinda rough now and this popped up:

P0306 and P0174 - Misfire on cylinder 6 and lean code on bank 2.

So the issues are on the same side...this is frustrating....I figured a bad O2 would throw a rich code? Anyone think a melted/damaged connector would cause this? Why not multiple misfires, why this one cylinder?? damn, I am stumped.

Last edited by TImmy_Jones; 07-10-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

New O2 sensor went in on that side, I also took all the plugs out of the bank and cleaned them with a wire brush to get some of the black off them, they were starting to look fouled again.

Drove the car for about 20-25mins, seems to run ok for now...who knows anymore.

I just don't see how I could have anything else wrong (maybe a vac leak), where is the most common place to look? its an 02, so it has the LS6 intake on it. New headers only have an AIR hookup, which I have my air pump tuned out, but still hooked up.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled out the engine sensor fuse today - the little green one with a number 20, and it looks perfect, not blown.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DTC P0174.pdf (71.7 KB, 98 views)
Old 07-13-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good stuff, thanks man.

Weird thing is - all of the symptoms make this one difficult! ALL the plugs on one side are bad...I guess I could have a vac leak near an injector? I will spray some carb cleaner around the injectors on bank 2.

Thanks.