Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP bilsteins/eibach kit question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP bilsteins/eibach kit question

Hey guys, first post in a few years with a new account. My car is in my username and I have all boltons when I get my FTRA and p&p throttle body on this week. Recently, I had this slp kit put on my car by a mechanic after doing a lot of research on which kit to go with. Most cars that ive seen with this kit, some coming on the car new and others installing it for an upgrade over the crap decarbons. I was happy with how it looks in pictures and on my friends 99' SS, about .75" lower and sitting level. Well, 2 weeks after install the front end is the same as before, if not .25" higher. The rear of the car sits almost a full 1" lower than stock. It handles great, and I've contacted slp for help as well as my friend, and everything seems to be installed correctly. However the cars stance looks worse than stock now with the front end being a full 1" higher than the rear. I'm a little disappointed to say the least, if anyone can help with input I would appreciate it. I can load pictures later if needed, I'm on my iPhone right now. Thanks for the help in advance
Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like a common issue. I think your best bet would be to either drop the front (using drop A-arms would probably work the best) or raise the rear (thicker isolators, adding in heater hose to the spring, etc.)
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, the fronts take some time to catch up to the rears! I hated it and swapped the rear stockers back in for a while. Not sure if you bought new, but that's one thing I won't do with coil springs anymore. Someone else can break them in for me.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:26 PM

I was thinking about raising the rear like you said 99formula, that's a good idea.

But, I didn't even think about swapping the rear back to stock.

Will the front eventually settle? And gi8 did you put only the rear springs back in, or the stock shocks with them?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not really coil springs in general (although most do require some settling time), but that some brands have sagging/uneven stance problems, such as the SLP Eibachs. Not saying they're bad springs, but it's a known issue.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM

I guess what I am most confused about is that there are so many satisfied customers with this setup. From what I can find thru searching is that there are only a few people with this problem. And there are no answers for this problem anywhere.

Are the height differences because of differences in the springs/shocks, or a difference in the car? What accounts for different ride heights with the same spring?

Here's a side shot of my car
Attached Thumbnails SLP bilsteins/eibach kit question-img_0682.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM

Here's the other side shot on a slight backwards slope.
Attached Thumbnails SLP bilsteins/eibach kit question-img_0660.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000SSM6
I guess what I am most confused about is that there are so many satisfied customers with this setup. From what I can find thru searching is that there are only a few people with this problem. And there are no answers for this problem anywhere.
Seems LS1 prokit rear springs are known for sagging issues over time. Could be for the fact they are progressive, maybe the lower rate coils just end up getting weaker...
Are the height differences because of differences in the springs/shocks, or a difference in the car? What accounts for different ride heights with the same spring?
There are a lot of variables that could be involved. Shocks don't effect ride height, all else equal on the car it should be springs only.
But things like weight, what rear axle you have (10bolt/12bolt/9"), spring perch (worn or not), worn out springs, etc. Then wheel/tire height can make a car look lower/higher front to rear even if its not.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the reply JD AMG, I see you're from St. Charles, I'm from Ballwin here

This is the SLP 70002 kit, not the prokit, and I just had it installed 2 weeks ago, so it shouldnt be sagging yet...

Also, my car is pretty much stock weight, only minor differences like the ORY. It is the stock 10 bolt, and I had the original springs and decarbons until 2 weeks ago with 103k miles on the car. If you look at the pictures, the rear sits like most people who have this kit, it's just the front that is basically the stock ride height still. My friend's 99 SS has this kit on and sits perfectly level.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Seems LS1 prokit rear springs are known for sagging issues over time. Could be for the fact they are progressive, maybe the lower rate coils just end up getting weaker...

There are a lot of variables that could be involved. Shocks don't effect ride height, all else equal on the car it should be springs only.
But things like weight, what rear axle you have (10bolt/12bolt/9"), spring perch (worn or not), worn out springs, etc. Then wheel/tire height can make a car look lower/higher front to rear even if its not.
I thought that the SLP Eibachs had issues with how they sit, not necessarily with spring sag. It seems that the front sitting higher is quite common with these springs.

I do know that the Prokits have issues with sag though however, so not disagreeing with you there.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000SSM6
Will the front eventually settle? And gi8 did you put only the rear springs back in, or the stock shocks with them?
Yeah, they do settle over time. I left the rear Bilstein shocks in place with the stock springs.

Quick Reply: SLP bilsteins/eibach kit question