General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear end noise - Hard slamming on hard shifts - Slams on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear end noise - Hard slamming on hard shifts - Slams on bumps

Videos added to post 12

When I shift hard I can hear the rearend slam hard. It will also do this going over bumps if Im going fast. Ive also noticed the shifter goes up when giving it gas but Ive already inspected the tansmission mount and it looked fine. What could be causing this?

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 07-10-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get under the car, and twist the DS, to see how slack its.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by killagt
get under the car, and twist the DS, to see how slack its.
Pulled it up on ramps; tried to twist and move forward and backwards. No slack in any direction whatsoever.

Now what?

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 07-10-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That, my friend, is your transmission mount totally gone. I'm on my 3rd camaro and i always change that the first day I buy it. First time iI encountered it was on a clutch change. stick was tring to jump in the car with me on hard acceleration.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

If it is aftermarket poly mount, then I would check the torque arm mount. if it is a stock trans mount, get rid of it. Aftermarket is 20 bucks. Energy suspension.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by onecamaro1
That, my friend, is your transmission mount totally gone. I'm on my 3rd camaro and i always change that the first day I buy it. First time iI encountered it was on a clutch change. stick was tring to jump in the car with me on hard acceleration.
I've already put my jack against the tranny and it wouldn't pull from the mount at all. I suppose Ill just change it anyway.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

If it is aftermarket poly mount, then I would check the torque arm mount. if it is a stock trans mount, get rid of it. Aftermarket is 20 bucks. Energy suspension.
What do I look for at the torque arm mount? Sorry, don't know anything suspension, only thing I replaced was a tranny mount back on my third gens.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

The stock tranny mount has holes in it to help the trans move a little, the aftermarket one is solid, but still rubber, it hardly moves. The torque arm mount bolts into a clasp on the side at the back of the trans. I have had the bolt come off and the torque arm come out before, but it was banging on light throttle and every bump I hit also. If it is hard throttle only, check and see if your rear bump stops are still on the car.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

To me, the shifter going up is a sure sign the trans mount is gone though.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

The stock tranny mount has holes in it to help the trans move a little, the aftermarket one is solid, but still rubber, it hardly moves. The torque arm mount bolts into a clasp on the side at the back of the trans. I have had the bolt come off and the torque arm come out before, but it was banging on light throttle and every bump I hit also. If it is hard throttle only, check and see if your rear bump stops are still on the car.
Bump stops are gone. Should it even be hitting as far as the bump stops? Ill be replacing the trans mount next.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

You would be surprised at how much your car hits the bumpstops. at the very least get the v6 ones on there so it won't be so harsh of a ride. I have been without bumpstops before going to the autoparts store. I thought I would never get home with the car in one piece.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrLd2u1-KQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcyjVoGob3E
Old 07-11-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dam that sound hurt my feeling
Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

The second video reminds me of when i changed my rear gears. I got on the interstate got up to 70 and i got that sound you have, but 1000x louder. I lost all power and had to have it towed home. A U-join strap came loose and a sharp edge on the torque arm cut the drivshaft in 2. The first video still sounds like the tail of the trans is hitting the tunnel or the axle is hitting the (lack of)bumpstop.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

As far as the transmission mount is concerned, the factory one might still be in good shape, it's just that it can't hold up to what you have upgraded. I changed my clutch and gears and thats all it took for the trans to start banging the tunnel on a good factory mount.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by killagt
dam that sound hurt my feeling
Me too

The second video reminds me of when i changed my rear gears. I got on the interstate got up to 70 and i got that sound you have, but 1000x louder. I lost all power and had to have it towed home. A U-join strap came loose and a sharp edge on the torque arm cut the drivshaft in 2. The first video still sounds like the tail of the trans is hitting the tunnel or the axle is hitting the (lack of)bumpstop.
Ouch! The sound IS actually much louder than what the camera recorded (its more of a still image camera). Im deff getting that mount today. Ill grab it from the local parts store. Do you happen to know what part numbers fit. What else should I check while Im under there, besides the TA? Still wondering what that rear end sound is too.

As far as the transmission mount is concerned, the factory one might still be in good shape, it's just that it can't hold up to what you have upgraded. I changed my clutch and gears and thats all it took for the trans to start banging the tunnel on a good factory mount.
OOOOH! That would mean its deff toast. Not much in the way of upgrades, but she does have more miles than a Las Vegas hooker.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Ummm... LOL

Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

jesus thats what mine is going to look like when i can actually get underneath my car and change it lol. did it solve the problem though?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zerokube
jesus thats what mine is going to look like when i can actually get underneath my car and change it lol. did it solve the problem though?
Like you wouldn't believe! I just gave it hell and didnt make a peep other than the lost traction

I've also had a bit of a bounce, what i thought was from the clutch or me. Now shifting is perfect. Also lost a lot of vibration that I figured was normal or was just too used to.

Got the ES 3.1108g from Advance. Followed the advice on other threads and removed the humps and didn't use the preload plate.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I lost traction with mine too. Couldnt hook at the track the first 3 trips up. Motor mounts and trans mount was toast. Changed them and boom 1.6 60" at the track

Quick Reply: Rear end noise - Hard slamming on hard shifts - Slams on bumps