LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trouble firing up when cold......

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble firing up when cold......

Ok so I have a mostly stock 1995 Z-28. Stock aside from Lingenfelter intake, cat back, gutted cat. It has an auto trans, 130,000 on the clock, no check engine lights, and overall runs really good.

All of the sudden, the car doesn't want to fire up after it has been sitting for a while. This could be in the morning, mid-day, or evening, doesn't seem to matter. It cranks over fine but requires a little footwork on the gas pedal to get it to fire.

Keep in mind it is not temperature related because here in Hawaii the temps are pretty much the same all day.

At first I though it was the battery/starter, but I just put a new battery in it to make sure. It seems like the starter is fine because the cranking speed sounds normal.

I normally would not care much about this, but It is my GF's Daily Driver and she has been having trouble starting it after work.

When she gets off work, the car has been sitting out in the HOT SUN for the whole day. The other day I had to go over to her workplace to start it for her.

I changed the fuel filter and there were definately contaminants in it. I also changed out the plugs for NGK TR 55's.

The fuel filter and plugs were stock/original.

Also have to mention that she ran the car out of gas a while back right across the street from the gas station. I am just hoping the fuel pump isn't toast.

If I had to guess, it sounds like the motor is starved for fuel. I suppose it could also be an ignition issue, but it runs so good other than the startup I am trying to rule that out.

TPS adjustment?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Can't hurt to look at fuel pressure- hook a FP gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see where the pressure is at key on, engine off. How fast does it bleed down? If it starts at 40-45 psi but bleeds down fast and you don't smell fuel leaking from the regulator body or injector rail, pull the FPR vacuum line off the intake and see if fuel is leaking past the diaphragm (ruptured inside the regulator).