Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can't pick a clutch kit.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't pick a clutch kit.

So I'm planning on hitting the 500rwhp all motor mark soon if everything goes as planned, but I'm still riding on a stock clutch. I've been doing research and reading threads but I still can't make myself completely sure on which clutch I need.

Two of of the sets I am most interested in:
McLeod RST twin disc set http://www.mcleodracing.com/products/RST+Twin+Disc.mcl

GM Ls9 Corvette clutch discs and pressure plates
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Store_Code=LPE

First of all, I've heard mixed reviews about both. Second, would the LS9 kit even fit my stock 6 speed tranny?

Also, any other kits you think I should take a look at are welcome. And pros/cons about the two kits I mentioned would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly at 500rwhp a twin disc isn't necessary. A Monster Level 2 is good for 550rwhp, couple it with an 18lb flywheel it'd free up some extra power to the rear wheels to help achieve your goal.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Monster Stage 3 FTW!

Easily the best puck clutch on the market IMO. Drives like a dream
Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Honestly at 500rwhp a twin disc isn't necessary. A Monster Level 2 is good for 550rwhp, couple it with an 18lb flywheel it'd free up some extra power to the rear wheels to help achieve your goal.
Are these street friendly? I want something I'll be able to drive daily if I wanted to.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WheelsCamaro
Are these street friendly? I want something I'll be able to drive daily if I wanted to.
Most Definitely. My Level 3 drives like a dream. It is a street car, and makes it to the track like twice a year, on a good year.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

"the most" street friendly would be a Twin. Not discounting any of the posts, what one would consider "street friendly" another would not.

Same deal with high stall torque converters...many LOVE 3600+ on the street but some just hate them....ymmv

if you could drive a car with a twin and another with a a 2-3 "type" disc that may help you determine what "you" like

either type will work. one costs more $, single discs with aggressive friction material and are puc type can exibit chatter or be sensitive to engagement. Again driving style and personal prefrence will be different for each person.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned

I have just ordered my Monster Stage 2 with flywheel and will let you know next week how it is after the install. I've heard nothing but good reviews about monster clutches and they have great prices.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ******
"the most" street friendly would be a Twin. Not discounting any of the posts, what one would consider "street friendly" another would not.

Same deal with high stall torque converters...many LOVE 3600+ on the street but some just hate them....ymmv

if you could drive a car with a twin and another with a a 2-3 "type" disc that may help you determine what "you" like

either type will work. one costs more $, single discs with aggressive friction material and are puc type can exibit chatter or be sensitive to engagement. Again driving style and personal prefrence will be different for each person.
True and thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by Fafonfoe
I have just ordered my Monster Stage 2 with flywheel and will let you know next week how it is after the install. I've heard nothing but good reviews about monster clutches and they have great prices.
That would help a lot!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

With any 6-puck clutch, you will sacrifice some streetability. It doesn't matter which brand it is, this design engages much quicker (like an on-off switch). Most also have some chatter, which is inherent of the 6-puck design. With the 12inch clutch setups, chatter is usually minimal. If you want something in which you 'll lose no driveability, go with a multi-friction disc (Stage 2 with most companies).
The Diamond Stage 2 uses cera-metallic friction material on one side and carbon/kevlar on the other. It drives very close to stock and is good for 600/600. www.diamondclutch.com
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Launching!

I have a monster 3 and love it.Holds power great no problems shifting at 6800 rpm with a stock master,car is also street driven with no issues .I have 430 gears so that helps drivability some.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

i have monster stage 2 and love it with tic master. never had anything else. did an a4 to 6spd and researched everybody and felt in my gut that monster was the way to go !! no regrets excellent and fun to drive speed shift to 2nd @ 75mph and break the tires loose just like on tv. i'ts good to know america stll builds rockets!! the guys are fabulous to talk to also real world know their stuff.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
FormerVendor

Just as 2 converters with the same stall speed can drive differently, so can 2 clutches of the same Level. A twin with a light import pressure plate can't handle double the power just because it uses twice the friction area and a dual friction clutch is only as good as it's weakest link.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fafonfoe
Thanks for the order and I'm sure you'll like it just as the other guys in this thread like theirs!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Diamond stage 2 would suit your needs and will handle 600 all day long plus some. I'm using a Diamond Stage 3 in my SS and it's my DD. I will never buy anything other then Diamond!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
FormerVendor

If you're afraid of a puck setup then we've got our proven Level 2 that will hold what you have. Give us a call and we'll give you a list of references to customers who are actually running 500rwhp in our Level 2, I will also give you a list of references of guys who are running mid-low 10's with our Level 3's. With our units you get all this and a 12 month warranty.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

. A twin with a light import pressure plate can't handle double the power just because it uses twice the friction area and a dual friction clutch is only as good as it's weakest link.
true any clutch is only as good as it's weakest link. offshore hubs being one "weak" link with some manufacturers

are you implying the OP's ? on the McLeod product has a "light import pressure plate"?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

true any clutch is only as good as it's weakest link. offshore hubs being one "weak" link with some manufacturers

are you implying the OP's ? on the McLeod product has a "light import pressure plate"?
Agreed and no I'm not implying anything just speaking in generality.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Chatter is not one of my concerns unless it's unbearable. I just want a clutch that isn't going to give me problems on the street nor on the track. I would also be leaning towards the better price...
Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
FormerVendor

Our units our proven on the track and the Level 2 will not chatter. I have it in my h/c C5 and have cut numerous 1.5s running 11.0s. Feel free to give me a call and I'll get you taken care of. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our units our proven on the track and the Level 2 will not chatter. I have it in my h/c C5 and have cut numerous 1.5s running 11.0s. Feel free to give me a call and I'll get you taken care of. Chris, 817-750-2000
Really? I have a couple of friends with monsters and they have all chattered horribly! Especially the level 2&3. I stayed Away from the monster design after that. Bought a diamond stage 3 and it is flawless. Car puts down 520/510 to the wheels. Spray is coming soon so I know the stage 3 will handle it. I just did a search for chatter and monster came up more than anything.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...r-lvl-2-a.html

Here is the good on diamond...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...5554-just-had-
diamond-stage-2-clutch-put.html

Just do research on both.....

Quick Reply: Can't pick a clutch kit.