General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loss of power when accelerating

Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loss of power when accelerating

I noticed lately that some times when I accelerate from around 2k rpm that my car will make a weird gurgle noise out the exhaust and theres a huge power loss. I don't want to say the car sputters because it doesn't feel like its going to die at all it just kind of makes a funny gurgle noise and loses all power while giving it throttle whether I gradually accelerate or WOT , its like when you gurgle water in your mouth except this sound is coming from the exhaust it definitly doesn't feel right. idk any ideas of what can be causing this?? I want to try to have this figured out by Thursday because I'm going to the track unless its not fixed yet. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

I also forgot to add the exhaust pops alot doesn't really sound like a back fire and at idle it faintly pops every now and then its not a smooth clean idle sound but yet the rpm gauge never moves. 01 ws6 stock down to the air lid besides a lm1 catback exhaust, which may explain some popping.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

plugs or wires. i had the same problem exhaust popping turned out one my spark plugs (yea the one at the very back on the passenger side) was lose. i replaced them all and its all good now
Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

well I'm not seeing any codes and it idles lik a champ and it never misfires or backfires. So I'm not sure its the plugs although I'll go ahead and change them anyway. Any other opinions as to why I'm losing power under acceleration?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

clean the maf sensor. might want to check the gas pressure, if you haven't changed the fuel filter in a while you might want to do that.

easy way to see if its the maf or not unplug the hardnes from it and drive it. if it drives better clean it and you found the problem (although i will still clean it no matter what)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Ws6ix
well I'm not seeing any codes and it idles lik a champ and it never misfires or backfires. So I'm not sure its the plugs although I'll go ahead and change them anyway. Any other opinions as to why I'm losing power under acceleration?
Yup.....failing 02 sensor(s). Get a scan while the engine is running, see how they are all switching. And NO...you will NOT get a code for failing 02 sensors till they get really bad....for allot of cars.

Maybe a clogged cat too.

But loss of fuel pressure, as mentioned, in the upper rpm's is a definite possibility. Get a free pressure check, you can use the tester at some parts stores.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, I'm gonna clean the maf sensor tmrw and I'm replacing the air filter just cause it needs replaced, time for K&N I guess. Tune up on the way as well.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 AM

You ... ehrmmm ... tried to drive for a while without TCS? Dunno about the gurgle sound, but if TCS believes you're loosing grip, you sure loose power ... alot.

I don't like TCS, not fun at all. Especially not at the red lights down town.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spitzkindl
You ... ehrmmm ... tried to drive for a while without TCS? Dunno about the gurgle sound, but if TCS believes you're loosing grip, you sure loose power ... alot.

I don't like TCS, not fun at all. Especially not at the red lights down town.
I don't have traction control my Ws6 didnt come equipped with it, I have the build paper that lists all options for it and TCS is not included, plus theirs no TCS button.

Although I found out this loss of power and weird noise comes when I'm accelerating while turning whether it be a slight turn or sharp turn any kind of turning while giving it gas causes it to lose power and make a gurgle noise as I said before.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Ws6ix
I don't have traction control my Ws6 didnt come equipped with it, I have the build paper that lists all options for it and TCS is not included, plus theirs no TCS button.

Although I found out this loss of power and weird noise comes when I'm accelerating while turning whether it be a slight turn or sharp turn any kind of turning while giving it gas causes it to lose power and make a gurgle noise as I said before.
Does your SES light ever flash?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

No my car has never thrown a code since I got it except when the gas cap was loose once.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

My does that when I turn it is hesitant in accelerating fast it takes a sec and then gets up and goes. How do you clean the maf? Dumb question but im a noob
Old 09-14-2014, 10:41 PM

Default any ideas on this issue?

I have the same issue when accelerating from 2k and going around turns. I recently replaced fuel pump with walboro. Had to modify assly to do this. I do have the o2 sensor codes currently on bank 2 sensor 1. Will b replacing sensor next payday. But took fuel pressure reading today and while idling pressure stays bouncing between 53-55 lbs. Any help would b appriciated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loss of power when accelerating