Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Short throw shifter options...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short throw shifter options...

Alright guys,
I'm wanting to know which is the best choice out of the short throw shifters they offer for this car? From what it looks like... B&M, Katech and UUC are the only 3 aftermarket options. Ive seen a few complaint posts about one or the other. What are the problems with them? Which of those is supposed to be the best (shortest) of the bunch? Do any of them come threaded to take a different **** than factory?

Also, it seems like modding a stock shifter is quite simple (given you have access to a welder). Can a stock modded shifter be just as good and solid as the aftermarket options? If so, I'll prob go that route and save myself the $$$.

Let me know fellas! Tempted to pick up a Katech short throw. I know it's easier cause it ready to just bolt in but is it worth the money when the stock one can be modded fairly easy?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Alright guys,
I'm wanting to know which is the best choice out of the short throw shifters they offer for this car? From what it looks like... B&M, Katech and UUC are the only 3 aftermarket options. Ive seen a few complaint posts about one or the other. What are the problems with them? Which of those is supposed to be the best (shortest) of the bunch? Do any of them come threaded to take a different **** than factory?

Also, it seems like modding a stock shifter is quite simple (given you have access to a welder). Can a stock modded shifter be just as good and solid as the aftermarket options? If so, I'll prob go that route and save myself the $$$.

Let me know fellas! Tempted to pick up a Katech short throw. I know it's easier cause it ready to just bolt in but is it worth the money when the stock one can be modded fairly easy?
PISSNUOFF

Or stock modded. I had mine modded, along with another local guy. Machinist lengthened the lower portion, shortened it at the stalk, then added a threaded portion with a large jam nut, so the height of the shifter is adjustable at the stalk portion. I think I have a pic of it somewhere.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok great! If u could send me some pics to my email... Taylor_Lunn@hotmail.com.

Another member here who mods them sent me pics of how he did the bottom extension and the shortening of the top portion but I'd like to see the the pics of how yours was modded if you don't mind. I think I'll just attempt my own. I don't mind spending money on mods when necessary but the shifter seems like an unnecessary expense if you know how to mod the stocker and have access to a welder.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have a welder? If not bring me your stock shifter and a 12 pack of beer, I'll have it finished before we are done with the first brew.

I did the "pipe" mod to mine, didn't shorten the top side at all, but if all you want is the top side cut down and a bolt welded to the top thats easy enough.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

You got a deal! Lol you probably have better welding skills that I do! What is your brew of choice man?

I already have the shifter off the car. It's actually at my buddies shop all torn apart ready to install all the new goodies! Pretty stoked about it! Been saving for the mods for awhile. Being in school sucks but I'm just about done!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Launching!

I lied.. I do not have a picture of it. Sorry.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

No problem man! Im sure I'll be able to do it with what i've seen and know anyway. I think I'm going to take Gulfm3 up on that offer though and go throw a few back and hack the shifter up with him... lol
Old 07-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Yeah.. Modifying one is not a complicated operation at all if you have any decent metalworking skills.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Coors Light, Sending PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Good taste! Lol ok bro
Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They all suck IMO. No fix for the crappy slop while in gear from any I have heard of. I have the B&M and personally think it was a waste of my time and money.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, every shifter seems to keep some of the slop. I think it's inevitable with the way our linkage is setup on the trans.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

This offer stands for anyone in the Houston area, bring me your shifter and a case of beer or a few bucks and I'll weld a pipe on the bottom. It literally takes 5 minutes.

When you put the shifter back in I would highly recommend upgrading to the UUC shifter bushings.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GulfM3
This offer stands for anyone in the Houston area, bring me your shifter and a case of beer or a few bucks and I'll weld a pipe on the bottom. It literally takes 5 minutes.

When you put the shifter back in I would highly recommend upgrading to the UUC shifter bushings.
Did that when I put the B&M in and it did jack **** to help with the side to side slop. waste of 20 bucks.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm going to order the CS trans and shifter bushings ASAP. The CS should be just as good as the UUC's right?

Which diff bushing is best?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Did that when I put the B&M in and it did jack **** to help with the side to side slop. waste of 20 bucks.
I should clarify, If your stock bushings are shot, the UUC poly bushings are a must have. I bought my car with 55k miles and the stock bushings were long gone.

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I'm going to order the CS trans and shifter bushings ASAP. The CS should be just as good as the UUC's right?

Which diff bushing is best?
I've never used the CS shifter bushing, but it's a pretty low stress part and I think it would be hard to make a "bad" one.

I don't know what diff bushing is best, i've broken two CS bushings and the stock bushing... I am temped to try the CS diff "block". It looks like a good idea.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok. It looks like the only 2 options are CS and UUC for the motor and trans mounts and diff/shifter block and bushings. I heard a lot of good things about the black CS motor mounts so I already ordered those and they are awaiting install. Just didn't know if I should go CS or UUC for the other spots but you're prob right, I can't see the shifter bushings being much different. I'm sure they accomplish the same thing.

If anyone has experience with both though and feels ones is superior to the other, lmk. I'll be ordering my other mounts within the next day or two.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well get them all from the same place?

It'll save you a few bucks on shipping, and it will all be in 1 box...

-meaty
Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

That was my thinking. And i might as well run all the same brand
Old 07-16-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pissnuoff's shifter by far. He's made additional updates to it, not just extended the shift linkage lower. The B&M had nice precision, but it was extremely noisy.

Quick Reply: Short throw shifter options...