New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car randomly refuses to restart...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car randomly refuses to restart...

Yah yah. Evil thing. I'd say it starts up about 75% of the time.. when it doesn't everything works in the car fine. Radio, Lights, Windows... perfect. Well sometimes the window wipers refuse to come on (wether the cars running or not) unless you turn them onto full blast but im not sure if its related and thats totally random as well. Theres no noise from the engine when you try and start it...just nothing.. sounds the same as if you were to try and start it with the clutch out. Sometimes i can sit there and play with it for about 20 minutes and i'll get it going by jiggling the keys pumping the clutch (I pretend this stuff helps) and when it does start up. My guages reset and the rpms hand and speed hand fly up to max then slowly wind down.... Any thoughts?

Car is an M6 1999 Z28

It has an underdrive pulley, MTX801D Amp bridged going though a half farad cap and a 340 watt 4 channel alpine amp which goes straight to the battery. Im pretty sure this is way to much strain to the electrical system.. so eh.. tell me what i need to do to get my baby back in shape.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your car is not broke, It is a CHEVY and it wants some attention!

Normally, I put the key in my car, turn it, and it starts... Twice now, I went to start it, and it didn't do crap. It just sort of burped real funny, idled real rough and quit.
About the time I started getting pissed, It quit messing around and cranked right up.
On 2 separate occasions it did this junk to me...

I think it is the car's way of telling me it needs more MONEY thrown at it, But I am still not sure. All I know for sure is the the car NEVER does this after getting a bunch of attention (ie: Fresh Oil, New Parts, Wash and Wax...) Who Knows?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This may not work for you, but my car did the same thing. On my key, the little black thing with the gold bar across it got a little corroded. I used a pencil eraser on this (both sides). My car has yet to repeat the same symptoms.

Tony
Old 03-02-2004, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Let's see, you have amps and stereo stuff drawing directly from (the stock?) battery and your underdriving your alternator. Does it idle normal with your cam? Your battery is dead, dude. Temporarily remove your stereo equipment, replace the battery with a fully charged battery that is known to be good and try it for a week.