Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Installing Torque Converter

I am going to be installing a torque converter in the near future, and have a couple questions. I've heard that you should always do a tranny cooler when doing this, which makes sence. I've just read a couple of posts hear that say you need to do a shift kit also. Is this accurate? I'm pretty sure I can do the TC myself, but not too sure about the shift kit. How involved is it? Also anyone got a link to a good install page for the TC?

'01 SS lots of bolt ons, cam a TC coming soon
Old 03-01-2004, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well a cooler is'nt a necessity, just cheap insurance- Unless it has a Super high stall that will generate a lot of heat. I'd say tackle the tc install first. Make sure new tc is Seated ALL THE WAY before putting back in. Try and borrow a tranny jack plate too. THen after you have the tc all wrapped up, do the cooler, be 100% sure that it doesnt leak too!

replace the round seal at the back of the tranny when the drive shaft is out, or you'll prolly see some fluid leak there.

I'd SEARCH archives here and ls1.com fer how to's/tq specs etc. its a real handfull!

opinion --> DONT DO A SHIFT KIT. tranny builders say its just overtaxing parts beyond they're design capacities. But some owners lov em(?) Really you oughta get ls1 edit and firm shifting that way. My shifting gets firmer as I add more throttle, which is the effect you want
And i'm not just beating up stock tranny parts. And a shift kit can be a lot to install!!
good luck

Last edited by Bull_in_a_china_shop; 03-01-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Mike at Yank recommended a shift kit on the lowest setting for me. I have the SY 3500. I also put the tranny cooler in. I wanted the extra insurance, that and I live in Florida. Next will be the programming.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

get the cooler for sure. That should be the first mod for any auto performance car anyways.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

110,000 miles in Houston with a 3 disc vigilante and no cooler.....JYI
Old 03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I heard the TransGo kits arent too tough to install and that they are better than the tuning by line pressure/shift time...

I planned to order the TransGo kit for mine, but leave it to he internet to change my mind at the last minute!

?????
Old 03-03-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
I heard the TransGo kits arent too tough to install and that they are better than the tuning by line pressure/shift time...

I planned to order the TransGo kit for mine, but leave it to he internet to change my mind at the last minute!

?????

The TRANSGO kit is easily one of the most time consuming/difficult shift kits you can buy from what I hear.

ALmost everyone recommends having a trans-pro install it.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

My friend had the trans go installed at a shop cuz when I watched the instrusctional video I told he just pay $100 and have it installed at the speed shop. ITS HARD and Too much time
Old 03-03-2004, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

I have the HPP3, so I can stiffen up shifts that way, my question is will the shift kit reduce or increase wear on my tranny? I have heard both things, wondering if anyone has any insight.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I have the HPP3, so I can stiffen up shifts that way, my question is will the shift kit reduce or increase wear on my tranny? I have heard both things, wondering if anyone has any insight.
It will increase the wear on the tranny, cuz the valvebody was not ment to be pushed to its limite and by adding a shift kit you are pushing it. My friend added a shift kit with tranny cooler and his tranny did not even last 7 months, unless the tranny is already built tough.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed my Transgo myself and had never worked on a a4 in my life. To look at it it was alot but once you started it really wasnt that bad. I say try it if you are up to it.