Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need intake descriptions and advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need intake descriptions and advice

Alright been trying to figure all this out, but too many acronyms and stuff getting me lost. SSRA, FTRA, Chris1313... I think there were more, what are all of these? pics? Heard with the Chris1313 you have to remove A/C which I won't do. It's been 100+ here for almost a month straight

I've got a WS6, looking for my best option for gains on intake. Was planning on making a jaam myself, but figuring it's not worth it if I'm gonna go to a new system that would make it obsolete.

So far I'm liking the idea of the volant, but it not being in a sealed box makes me hesitant. I'll later be going to an either 92 or 102 TB and manifold.

Has anybody experienced problems debaffeling the hood? If not whats the easiest way to do that and do a jaam?

Anyways if I continued I figure I'll start to become redundant, and before anybody says it yes I've tried looking up intake options, just haven't seen enough to satisfy my curiousity.

Thanks
Jared
Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Banned

FRA is always popular. I've been meaning to do a write-up on mine as I have basically the same thing except for Vettes.

Irregardless you might have to check out subsequent options for the induction as well, if you want to upgrade the intake in any way. Make sure sure you have the right combinatoric set for future mods so it'll be ready and work correctly.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

FTRA is a metal duct that is installed under the the filter. The SSRA is similar, but it's made of plastic, and has a scoop that slides into the duct. This scoop attaches to the bumper. Both are very well made. The Chris1313 is for non AC cars and requires cutting of the hood latch brace. There's a non AC version of the SSRA called the Mega Mouth. Both of these non AC will flow much more air due to their larger size.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

NO

There IS a version, the original version, of the chrs1313 that KEEPS AC, as seen here:
http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000984
After running one, I will run nothing else, ever.

Last edited by dr_whigham; 07-17-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll check that out ^

How about doing the jaam, is that beneficial no matter what setup you have?

I talked to somebody about their volant dual cone air intake, they like it. But with no lid is that bad for the compression? Would make no sense to use a jaam to up the compression but no lid where lots of cool air escapes and warm air enters...
Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Something to consider is the fact that an LS1 is kinda like a catfish. It's a bottom feeder / bottom breather. They respond REALLY well to a ram air set-up that draws from the bottom, straight through the filter, and into the lid.

The key is sealing the system. I don't care if it's a factory lid, it's still plastic on plastic. If it's not waterproof, it's not air sealed. I always seal my lid with 3/8" weatherstripping. This should be a must, and it applied to ram air set-ups too.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
NO

There IS a version, the original version, of the chrs1313 that KEEPS AC, as seen here:
http://www.speedinc.com/cart.cfm?act...m=Chrs1313RAAC

Are the gains worth the initial outlay?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:02 AM
The Scammer Hammer

What do you mean by initial outlay?

Read these. Trust me

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...air-worth.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-install.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...questions.html

Hope these help. LOTS of good info in here!!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

The money spent, i did read most of the threads on it.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:26 AM
TECH Veteran

NO

http://www.speedinc.com/cart.cfm?act...m=Chrs1313RAAC

Fixed your link.

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000984
Old 07-18-2011, 02:18 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Fixed. Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Right now my TA is my DD, will see rain and most unfortunately snow. How worried do I need to be about getting too much water in there? I take dips and all that slow, it won't be pounded throu any puddles or anything of the sort unless I just don't see them coming for some reason

Where all does the weather stripping need to go? Around the air box and hook up to intake hose? To the radiator support? Do I need to block off the front of the air box for compression? There's alot about sealing it up but never exactly where, and unfortunately I'm a person who likes to get all info before starting on something
Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 AM
The Scammer Hammer

I've never heard nor read anyone having any water problems with their 1313.

Weatherstripping goes in 2 places. 3/8" goes under your lid, where it would contact the lower portion of your airbox, front to back, and side to side. ALL the way around. Plastic on plastic will NEVER seal by itself, I don't give a **** what anyone says.

The kit is also going to come with a thicker weather stripping. Layer this up to cover the slat in the front of your airbox. You won't need it anymore. You want ALL of your air to be drawn in from the RA set-up.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

I've never heard nor read anyone having any water problems with their 1313.

Weatherstripping goes in 2 places. 3/8" goes under your lid, where it would contact the lower portion of your airbox, front to back, and side to side. ALL the way around. Plastic on plastic will NEVER seal by itself, I don't give a **** what anyone says.

The kit is also going to come with a thicker weather stripping. Layer this up to cover the slat in the front of your airbox. You won't need it anymore. You want ALL of your air to be drawn in from the RA set-up.
You sir are a big help, thank you
Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JrodCamaro
I talked to somebody about their volant dual cone air intake, they like it. But with no lid is that bad for the compression? Would make no sense to use a jaam to up the compression but no lid where lots of cool air escapes and warm air enters...

No, not good. Sucking up the air from the engine bay will cause the IAT's to jump. Any time you run any sort of open air intake the problem will be temps.

Lids and any true CAI will allow for better combustion and you won't have to worry about tuning anything different running normal temperatures.