New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck light on dash

Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stuck light on dash

My security light will not turn off and the car cranks up with no problems. Is there a fuse or something,I've tried to reset the computer and nothing.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Your VATS contacts are probably going bad in your ignition switch, or the wire is some how bad. A quick test is to measure your resistor pellet on your key with an ohm meter and plug that value of resistance into the connector under the dash.

If it works, you can leave it (VATS will be disabled), or you can buy a new ignition switch at Autozone for around $30. There is a thread somewhere on here how how to replace the switch if you are mechanically inclined.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does the same thing and if I remember correctly this is actually a good thing as opposed to the alternative.

Basically, if the light stays on all the time it means there was a fault detected in the ignition system unlike if it is flashing and it thinks someone is trying to steal the car. More than likely you have broken wires at the ignition cylinder and would have to get those fixed to get the light off. The good thing is your car knows there is a problem related to the security system that is non-theft related and therefore still allows the car to be started.

That's my understanding at least. Mine has been on for over a year and still starts everytime.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I was having the no start issue. I disabled the VATS with HPTuners and now have the security light on all the time. I'm planning on replacing the cylinder in the next week or two, so I can re-enable the VATs.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Programming out VATS in the PCM is only part of it - the other portion is in the BCM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can symply bypass the ENTIRE security system with one wire. It is very easy to do. Actually it is funny how GM spent who knows how much money to make your car not start if someone tampers with the key cylinder, but it takes a single piece of 4 inch long wire to disable the entier system. HA! Another term for this is Hot Wiring!!!

If you want to do this to YOUR car, PM me and I will tell you how. No need to buy a new cylinder or reprogram the VATS.

Search this Thread