Print Wikipost

Bulge in Tread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bulge in Tread

Hey guys,

I've got a 2000 Camaro Z/28 running 245/50R16 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions. I've had the tires on the car for about two years now, with less than 10,000 miles on them. Had a weird sound checked out at a tire shop and the driver's side rear has a slight deformation in the tread. The service manager had no idea what could cause this, other than a really awkward strike in a pothole and damaging the belt. What's weird is that I had just gotten the car back from the shop for replacing a fuel filter and fuel line and that's when this started happening. The tire still looks like new with no other abnormal wearing and the rim has no apparent signs of curbing.

I plan on replacing the tire ASAP because the belt is compromised, but what would you guys do? I found the tires as a take-off set on CL, so I'm probably SOL on any kind of warranty and I doubt the repair shop would take any kind of accountability. Do you think the rest of the tires run the chance of deforming? Any advice would be much-o aprreciated.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Usually belts don't separate unless you run something over or something of that nature. If the other tires are fine, and you're strapped for cash, just replace the bad one.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Teching In

I've seen bulges occur in the sidewall by the rim, in the sidewall next to the tread, never on the tread. Basically the same problem though, that spot has been compromised. It is weaker than the surrounding rubber. And blowouts can happen and they are scary as hell. I wouldn't worry about driving on the tire in town to the shop, but i wouldn't suggest getting on the bypass.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

If a belt is broken the tire should be replaced. Can you post a picture of the tire?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

I agree that it was caused by some type of tire trauma due bad luck. Dont think it's a munufacturing defect so wouldn't worry about a repeat on the other tires.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

I had this happen in my '88 Beretta (first car), but it was in the sidewall. I can't remember ever hitting anything hard but I didn't drive that car nice at all.

Definitely get that tire replace asap. In general you want to replace tires in pairs but with the mileage that you have on them and if money is an issue at the moment you could get away with replacing just that one tire. You can also find some low mileage rubber on eBay.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Rudy,

I can take a picture of the tire, but it's very difficult to see and feel the bulge without the car being lifted up.

Thanks for everyone's interest!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Hey again Rudy,

I tried taking some pictures of the bulge. The tire was cold this morning so I think the deformation might have been less pronounced as it was at the tire store I was at.

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/z...0/Tire%20Pics/

Here is a link to the pics I took. I hope this helps some!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for you bad luck, but I have sen worse so bad that the whole car shaked when driving. Get it replaced before it gets worse.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Bluges are not a good thing and the tire needs replaced. It could be a tread seperation do to impact or possible defect. I would recommend the installer mark the buldge before dismounting so he can help make a diagnosis.

-Rudy

Quick Reply: Bulge in Tread