Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

gen 3 or gen 4 engine options

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gen 3 or gen 4 engine options

so i have a track car and weight / weight distribution is pretty vital

recently my motor had some overheating issues. leakdown test was not conclusive. the motor could have warped head/block, blown gasket, cracked water jackets. at this point the block is tore down. 04 ls1 with a tsunami cam and prc stg 2.5 ls6 heads

money is always a concern on a tight budget but at the same time i want the best bang for buck

the options and concerns are listed below

1) Acquire used ls1 shortblock and mill my heads and swap cam/head - unsure of reliability/condition of used motor and how long it will last me. could possibly end up with another motor that needs be to machined

2) rebuild current block and purchase a 383 stroker and mill and swap my heads/cams - unsure of condition of block, could possibly waste money at machine shop for a block that isnt worth salvaging. Also the power gains of going w/ a 383 are not substantial enough to justify the cost of machine work and parts.

3) Purchase an iron block 421 or 427 and mill my heads and swap cam/heads in - weight may be an issue, does anyone know the difference between iron vs aluminum block weights?

4) Purchase an aluminum 418 ls3 block and mill my heads and swap cam/heads in - this appears to be the most reliable however also the most expensive of the options.

Any help / suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.