Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dimmed Rear Tailights

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Dimmed Rear Tailights

Ive noticed that my right rear tailight is dimmed, i replaced the bulb and check the socket for any water damage and it still clean and still have the issue. also ive notice that other camaros and firebirds has the same issue wether its on the driver or passenger side. Is this a common thing and is there a fix for it or am i gonna have to chase wires?

Thank You!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a common thing. The inner light reflector has a metallized coating on it that corrodes and turns black/non-reflective if exposed to moisture for extended periods of time. Most common causes are bad gaskets on the sockets, or a bad seal around the lens to reflector joint. Only way to fix is to separate the lenses from the reflectors using a heatgun or the oven, paint both left and right reflectors with silver/reflective paint, and reassemble the lens to the reflector using silicone and clamps.

Most people just buy new/used ones that aren't damaged. I've only seen 2 or 3 people that actually disassembled, painted, and reassembled their taillights.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
It's a common thing. The inner light reflector has a metallized coating on it that corrodes and turns black/non-reflective if exposed to moisture for extended periods of time. Most common causes are bad gaskets on the sockets, or a bad seal around the lens to reflector joint. Only way to fix is to separate the lenses from the reflectors using a heatgun or the oven, paint both left and right reflectors with silver/reflective paint, and reassemble the lens to the reflector using silicone and clamps.

Most people just buy new/used ones that aren't damaged. I've only seen 2 or 3 people that actually disassembled, painted, and reassembled their taillights.
Oh wow thnx never thought it would be the tail light itself