General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Next Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Mod?

I'll have around $800 to spend on mods here soon, and I'm stuck between either getting 1 big mod (I.E. Cam swap..I know..more than $800, but its a good place to start, but need headers before) or a bunch of smaller..
I would like to run a Catch Can Setup which would run me around $175.
Hopefully someone can chime in with a catch can installed..I know I can probly do it myself cheaper, but I just don't have the time right now. Can I expect any noticeable gains or improvements other than not burning through 1-2 quarts of oil every oil change?

HID'S are also an idea, but don't know of many kits.

I need need need new rotors and pads all around, which a sponsor. on the forums (hopefully is still) selling for $180ish drilled and slotted..haters gonna hate..can't beat the price
Any other ideas..the brakes are MUST, especially with the car soon to be seeing the track frequently..
Any other Ideas on mods? Open to any ideas guy..appearance, performance, interior..ANYTHING!!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my personal opinion, but if you're on a limited budget then scratch appearance 'mods (such as HID's) off of the list because they're just superfluous and don't add performance, which is what these cars are about. Secondly, if you've got maintenance issues, such as the brakes you mentioned, they must be taken care of first; no point in shoving in a power building 'cam but not be able to stop the car.

As for the catch can sure it's a great idea, but it won't add power. Although I'm shocked that you're going through that much oil between oil changes, a catch can MIGHT help a little-someone who knows chime in if I'm wrong.

Based on your $800 budget if you follow my advice and take care of your brakes first (I'm assuming you're having them professionally installed/serviced) then you won't have enough money left to do any engine 'mods, so I'd go with sub-frame connectors and...that's probably about it because of the installation costs for both the brakes and the SFC's. Actually, it might not even be enough for both. Money doesn't take you as far as it used to.

Don't be discouraged or disappointed in not being able to turn your car into a street terror over night-for most folks in the hobby it can take YEARS to get what you want out of your vehicle. Hell, I DREAM of the day I can afford to bolt up a good cat-back or a Bilstein shock package onto my T/A. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

^^Good advice right there. Fix the maintanence issues and your car will be much more enjoyable. Subframe connectors are a good start as well as a catch can. You could get bolt-on connectors to save on the install.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like mentioned before the maintenance part of ur brakes should be taking care of first. Subframes are a very good investment and makes the car one piece so that would be a.good upgrade.

As for the catch can, you could just take off the whole pcv system off and nipple the wholes up then put a filter where ur oil cap goes. Makes it like old school motors that just vented that positive crank case ventilation in the air with the filters on their valve covers. Its what I did to mine and saves money on a catch can, while saving ur motor from all that oil going into ur intake from the pcv.

Good luck with what u choose to do
Old 07-16-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myk
This is my personal opinion, but if you're on a limited budget then scratch appearance 'mods (such as HID's) off of the list because they're just superfluous and don't add performance, which is what these cars are about. Secondly, if you've got maintenance issues, such as the brakes you mentioned, they must be taken care of first; no point in shoving in a power building 'cam but not be able to stop the car.

As for the catch can sure it's a great idea, but it won't add power. Although I'm shocked that you're going through that much oil between oil changes, a catch can MIGHT help a little-someone who knows chime in if I'm wrong.

Based on your $800 budget if you follow my advice and take care of your brakes first (I'm assuming you're having them professionally installed/serviced) then you won't have enough money left to do any engine 'mods, so I'd go with sub-frame connectors and...that's probably about it because of the installation costs for both the brakes and the SFC's. Actually, it might not even be enough for both. Money doesn't take you as far as it used to.

Don't be discouraged or disappointed in not being able to turn your car into a street terror over night-for most folks in the hobby it can take YEARS to get what you want out of your vehicle. Hell, I DREAM of the day I can afford to bolt up a good cat-back or a Bilstein shock package onto my T/A. Good luck and keep us posted!
Great advice !! I couldn't have said it better.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

I can knock the brakes out myself, and I think I confused everyone with the money issue..I will have $800-$1000 after the brakes are on, I can get them on myself, along with SFC's, etc. in a friends shop with a lift and all the whizbang stuff. I'm sure I could pick up some used SFC's for a decent price, and have some leftover to wait another 4ish weeks to get the TSP 1 7/8" LT/ 3" ORY kit. JMO..I know things usually run a bit more than they appear, and especially since I'm going to swap plugs while im there, but while on somewhat of the topic..how much could I get out of the 2 cats at the scrap yard on the car now?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

I guess my real question is..if you were in my shoes, what would you do next?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

get the brakes and maybe some lcas/phb/subframe connnectors and a tune. i just ordered a set of hids off of ebay and they were less than $40 and took 30 seconds to install