Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Best catch can?

Just wondering if a catch can is a good idea and who makes the best inexpensive one cause im not looking to spend a whole lot, but in doing my intake and I think while it's off a might be a good idea to install one.

1998 camaro z/28
Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

cost about $15 worth of parts from Lowes, not including shop vac foam rubber filter piece that goes inside:
Attached Thumbnails Best catch can?-cc.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ does that even work? i dont see any sort of resivior on it. i've heard good things about the norris catch cans. i just installed one on my car but it's to early to tell if it works well.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the money on an Elite catch can & don't look back ($159). The homemade units don't work very well. There is a thread somewhere on here that goes into this topic in great detail. There definately needs to be a mesch filter & enough area for propper circulation to seperate the oil from the air. Find the tread, it will be worth your time.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brianw401
Spend the money on an Elite catch can & don't look back ($159). The homemade units don't work very well. There is a thread somewhere on here that goes into this topic in great detail. There definately needs to be a mesch filter & enough area for propper circulation to seperate the oil from the air. Find the tread, it will be worth your time.
Agree.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
^^^ does that even work? i dont see any sort of resivior on it. i've heard good things about the norris catch cans. i just installed one on my car but it's to early to tell if it works well.
It works perfectly. Any oil drains back down the lower hose (the advantage of mounting it higher up). The outlet is completely dry. I've used the reservoir type before, just a PITA, and fill up with water condensation + sludge. Also, you need a filter, which is easy to change in mine, an empty can won't do *****.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt spend over $45 on mine, including all the hoses/clamps to hook the system up. The can also has a filtering element inside and drain on the bottum as well.
Attached Thumbnails Best catch can?-img_1774.jpg   Best catch can?-img_1758.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We have filters on all of our compressors where I work some are glass and some are clear plastic. They are Very cheap, would one of them not serve the same purpose? After your not going to put that oil back into you motor are you?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

The purpose of the mesh found in the Elite Engineering oil catch cans (and perhaps some others) is not to filter the condensate. It is rather is to slow down the oil vapor stream and force the oil and other ingredients to re-condense into liquid. A good portion of this condensate can be water (depending on the ambient humidity) or unburned fuel (caused by fuel dilution).
Old 07-16-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Darkman
The purpose of the mesh found in the Elite Engineering oil catch cans (and perhaps some others) is not to filter the condensate. It is rather is to slow down the oil vapor stream and force the oil and other ingredients to re-condense into liquid. A good portion of this condensate can be water (depending on the ambient humidity) or unburned fuel (caused by fuel dilution).
Yes and the filters on our compressors remove all moisture so it does not get inside our $3,000,000 machines. So what mekes these $200+ catch cans any better?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Condensing oil out of oil vapor in a car engine is different than condensing water out of compressed air.

The amount of water contained in compressed air is indirectly proportionate to the pressure. Stated differently, compressed air can hold the most water when pressure is the highest. Because of this, removing water from compressed air is simply a matter of dropping the pressure and trapping the water.

Mechanically, this is usually done by installing water traps at points on the air system where pressure drops tend to occur anyway – for example just as the air exits a compressed air tank and enters a transfer line. Simply put, removing water from compressed air requires only a pressure drop.

The oil vapor from a car engine is at relatively low pressure so getting it to condense with a simple reduction in pressure is not practical. What is practical is a reduction in temperature. The simplest mechanical means of reducing the temperature of the oil vapor in a small space is through interference and exposure to more surface area such as a mesh. Conceptually it is similar to those spiral shaped condensing tubes one sees on the old fashion still.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Condensing oil out of oil vapor in a car engine is different than condensing water out of compressed air.

The amount of water contained in compressed air is indirectly proportionate to the pressure. Stated differently, compressed air can hold the most water when pressure is the highest. Because of this, removing water from compressed air is simply a matter of dropping the pressure and trapping the water.

Mechanically, this is usually done by installing water traps at points on the air system where pressure drops tend to occur anyway – for example just as the air exits a compressed air tank and enters a transfer line. Simply put, removing water from compressed air requires only a pressure drop.

The oil vapor from a car engine is at relatively low pressure so getting it to condense with a simple reduction in pressure is not practical. What is practical is a reduction in temperature. The simplest mechanical means of reducing the temperature of the oil vapor in a small space is through interference and exposure to more surface area such as a mesh. Conceptually it is similar to those spiral shaped condensing tubes one sees on the old fashion still.

OK thanx that makes sense. I always thought the the water vapor and/or oil the i see in the plastic cup (pretty nasty looking) was seperated by what appears to be some type of stone looking material filter if that makes sense. So this type of devise would not work on our cars?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1121
OK thanx that makes sense. I always thought the the water vapor and/or oil the i see in the plastic cup (pretty nasty looking) was seperated by what appears to be some type of stone looking material filter if that makes sense. So this type of devise would not work on our cars?
On compressed air systems you usually see three possible devices.

One is for water only and is a simple trap which often includes a clear "bowl" in which you will see water. I have seen these used as home made oil catch cans but they do not work well because most of the oil vapor goes straight through them.

A second device is a coalescing filter which contains some sort of media (wire mesh being one example and perhaps your brown stone being another) to trap oil. These are used, for example, for compressed air used for spray painting where you want no oil in the air as well as no water. You could presumably adapt one of these devices to make an oil catch can.

The third device is a combination device which uses two internal chambers to accomplish both water and oil removal.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

On compressed air systems you usually see three possible devices.

One is for water only and is a simple trap which often includes a clear "bowl" in which you will see water. I have seen these used as home made oil catch cans but they do not work well because most of the oil vapor goes straight through them.

A second device is a coalescing filter which contains some sort of media (wire mesh being one example and perhaps your brown stone being another) to trap oil. These are used, for example, for compressed air used for spray painting where you want no oil in the air as well as no water. You could presumably adapt one of these devices to make an oil catch can.

The third device is a combination device which uses two internal chambers to accomplish both water and oil removal.

OK Thanx for your quick reply. I will get with our main. dept. monday and see if they can hook me up.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about this one:

http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com...atch_Cans.html
Old 07-26-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nastyiroc

Thanx but I got a little one with clear plastic bowl from work for free and just tied it in with some fuel line. I'm cheap and just can't see spending that kind of money on something I may or may not need. lol
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1121
Yes and the filters on our compressors remove all moisture so it does not get inside our $3,000,000 machines. So what mekes these $200+ catch cans any better?
You sure you don't have refrigerated air dryers further down the line, and you're not just looking at the bulk particulate/liquid pre-filters for those?

I'm going to be picking up a Norris unit myself. Constantly seeing a puddle of oil in the throttle body is starting to annoy me.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nastyiroc
That looks like a good design to me.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The one from ws6 store is only $90.......
Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a good design to me.
I got the norris can and it works great.

Quick Reply: Best catch can?