LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

P1336 code, rpm issues after 24x pcm swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1336 code, rpm issues after 24x pcm swap

Before we start, i am not knocking the product, the product is effing amazing.

I have a code thrown instantly even with engine not running, P1336 which appears to be crank variation bla bla not learned. From what ive read i can fix this issue in hptuners, which i have. More info on this would be appreciated.

I also have another issue however, my rpm guage is way off, I can be wound out in 2nd gear and only be reading 3000rpm, when clearly im near redline. Is this a sensor issue or more likely a pcm thing that needs to be adjusted?

Thanks in advance.

BTW 97 lt1 with 24x efi connection swap, 6 speed standard, full bolt ons, cam, bla bla.

Byron
Old 07-16-2011, 05:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97lt1camaro
I have a code thrown instantly even with engine not running, P1336 which appears to be crank variation bla bla not learned. From what ive read i can fix this issue in hptuners, which i have. More info on this would be appreciated.
These two issues are not problems. They are both unfinished work for your conversion.

Regarding the P1336 DTC, you will find the following information in the GM service manual.

Originally Posted by GM Service Manual
The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor sends pulses to the PCM as the reluctor wheel teeth rotate past the CKP sensor. The PCM uses the CKP pulses to synchronize the ignition and fuel injector operation, and to time the interval between each CKP pulse. The PCM determines when an excessive change in crankshaft speed occurs by comparing each new time interval with the previous interval. A misfire causes an unexpected change in the crankshaft speed. A certain amount of acceleration/deceleration is expected between each firing stroke, but if the crankshaft speed changes more than an expected amount, the PCM interprets this as a misfire. The interval between CKP sensor pulses is extremely small. At high engine speeds, slight variations in the following components make misfire detection difficult:

•Crankshaft.
•Reluctor wheel.
•CKP sensor.

The PCM learns variations during the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure. The PCM compensates for these variations when performing detect misfire calculations. Only a scan tool can command the PCM to perform the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure again.
In short, the crank learn data in your PCM has been lost (through a full flash of a new operating system). So the PCM is telling you, "Hey, there is something I'd like to know about your engine and I'm going to set this P1336 DTC until you allow me to look at the crank and cam signals through a testing procedure." And by the way, a "misfire" is defined by the misfire tables in the calibration. Assuming your calibration is based on an LS1 engine, those misfire table values are only appropriate for a stock LS1 engine. If you have the original misfire settings in those tables and have a nasty cam, at idle the PCM may interpret a misfire. I doubt there are many tuners who take the time to properly rework the misfire tables.

I also have another issue however, my rpm guage is way off, I can be wound out in 2nd gear and only be reading 3000rpm, when clearly im near redline. Is this a sensor issue or more likely a pcm thing that needs to be adjusted?
Go to the tach settings in the calibration, set both tach high and tach low pulse counts to 3. Then enable the tach pullup (if that's what HP Tuners calls it?). Then let us know how the tach looks.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
These two issues are not problems. They are both unfinished work for your conversion.

Regarding the P1336 DTC, you will find the following information in the GM service manual.

In short, the crank learn data in your PCM has been lost (through a full flash of a new operating system). So the PCM is telling you, "Hey, there is something I'd like to know about your engine and I'm going to set this P1336 DTC until you allow me to look at the crank and cam signals through a testing procedure." And by the way, a "misfire" is defined by the misfire tables in the calibration. Assuming your calibration is based on an LS1 engine, those misfire table values are only appropriate for a stock LS1 engine. If you have the original misfire settings in those tables and have a nasty cam, at idle the PCM may interpret a misfire. I doubt there are many tuners who take the time to properly rework the misfire tables.

pulse counts to 3. Then enable the tach pullup (if that's what HP Tuners calls it?). Then let us know how the tach looks.
Thats exactly what i was hoping to read.

Would the crank learn variation be something i should wait till the car is running near optimum for. Cause the tune is pretty rough on it seems at the moment and i heard there might be issues getting it to do its "learn" if the car isnt running quite right.

I figured it was the pulse counts that needed to be adjusted, i was reading about it last night, just couldnt find a definite answer. Thanks for the replies

For the record, ive never had this engine idle as nice as it does with this setup in it. Honestly if i couldnt hear it or see the serpentine moving along, i wouldnt even know its running. The engine is rock solid at idle.

My regards to the company and product good sir!

-Byron
Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also after looking through the initial tune. Min and Max ect for misfire detection are 284*f . This to me would say that its not going to detect any misfires unless im at 284*F . I compared it to one of the 02 camaro sample files and its settings are min 16*F compared max 284*

So i think ill change the settings for the tach first, then do the crank relearn, then write it and change the temp settings to see if its even detecting misfires.

The tables appear to have been reworked, but again all i can tell is that they are different then the 02 ls1 misfire tables so.

-Byron
Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Would the crank learn variation be something i should wait till the car is running near optimum for. Cause the tune is pretty rough on it seems at the moment and i heard there might be issues getting it to do its "learn" if the car isnt running quite right.
If, in park/neutral, your air/fuel ratio is somewhat close to 14.7 from idle to about 4500 rpm, then yes you can do a crank learn. If not, make the few changes in the calibration and do the learn. It's not much work to change the fuel calibration while in park/neutral. If for some reason you cannot make the calibration changes at this time, then I would wait to do the learn procedure.

Regardless of crank learn status (learned or unlearned with a P1336 DTC set), the engine is always going to fire injectors and coils based on the crank signal. Unless there is something I am unaware of, you are not hurting anything to postpone the crank learn procedure.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

If, in park/neutral, your air/fuel ratio is somewhat close to 14.7 from idle to about 4500 rpm, then yes you can do a crank learn. If not, make the few changes in the calibration and do the learn. It's not much work to change the fuel calibration while in park/neutral. If for some reason you cannot make the calibration changes at this time, then I would wait to do the learn procedure.

Regardless of crank learn status (learned or unlearned with a P1336 DTC set), the engine is always going to fire injectors and coils based on the crank signal. Unless there is something I am unaware of, you are not hurting anything to postpone the crank learn procedure.
Wideband is going in today. Im thinking the afr is out. I also have a slow o2 i believe. One sticks around 900mv at idle and the other around 150-200 sometimes. Somethimes they read the same, sometimes they dont.

Im not sure which is at fault. Im reading up on everything as much as i can haha.

On another note, i changed the tach pulse counts and did the crank learn variation without issue. Thanks for the help on that btw.

I also appear to be throwing a code for the knock sensor, so im hoping its the sensor and not the wiring as i dont really want to have to dink around with it.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

I also appear to be throwing a code for the knock sensor, so im hoping its the sensor and not the wiring as i dont really want to have to dink around with it.
From the PCM's point of view, there are two knock sensors...and "a code for the knock sensor" can mean many different things. A 4th gen F-Body does not have clearance near the motor mount for a second knock sensor.

Without any additional information, I'm going to guess that you are using one knock sensor and the calibration is set to use two. If this is the case, you simply have to change the calibration settings to indicate that you are using one knock sensor. Problem solved.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

From the PCM's point of view, there are two knock sensors...and "a code for the knock sensor" can mean many different things. A 4th gen F-Body does not have clearance near the motor mount for a second knock sensor.

Without any additional information, I'm going to guess that you are using one knock sensor and the calibration is set to use two. If this is the case, you simply have to change the calibration settings to indicate that you are using one knock sensor. Problem solved.
DTC P0332 Knock Sensor (KS) 2 Circuit was the code thats being thrown. I know the one KS on the pass side. But i always took knock sensor1 or 2 as being bank 1(drivers side) or bank 2 (pass side).

If im wrong then yay, and then its just a simple tuning thing, thats no big deal.

Quick Reply: P1336 code, rpm issues after 24x pcm swap