Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock Monsoon unit with aftermarket amp and sub

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stock Monsoon unit with aftermarket amp and sub

hey guys so i am looking to hook up a single sub powered by an aftermarket amp to the stock head unit. i know this is possible but all the so called info i can find on it is not very helpful. does anyone know if a write up on this of how to do it, and where i can find it? if not then could i get some advice on how to do it

Thanks
T/A7935
Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a monoblock amp with speaker level inputs and activation. Tap into the HU outputs where they go into the Monsoon amp. There's a pin-out list for the monsoon amp connector in the FAQ. Use some red quick-splice connectors. The new amp will come with a little 6" pigtail connector with a plug on one side and bare ends on the other. You'll need to run some kind of 8 or10-pole wire to extend it between the two amps.

Just one example of an amp with the feature you want:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...iers/KAC-8105D

"Speaker-level inputs with signal sensing turn-on"
Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was hoping i could get a adapter that just plugged in to the back on the stock monsoon head unit that allows to adapt an aftermarket amp. i have a GM9-AUX attached to my head unit already that allows to adapt a MP3 player to the stock system. i was hoping for something like that.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing I am aware of allows you to tap into the HU speaker outputs so easily. If you want a clean looking installation, I suppose you could pull those wires out of their pin positions on the HU connector, buy new crimp terminals, and insert an extra wire in each one. But that wouldn't really be any easier than the red quick-splice connectors and you won't see it either way. Whether you do it at the Monsoon amp or the HU depends on where you're gonna mount the new monoblock amp.

I hope you consider just replacing the HU, because new ones sound so much better and the features you get, just USB alone, add a lot of convenience. Then you could just run a RCA cable and call it a day.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea but i am wanting to keep the stock head unit and just want t add a sub for better bass control and less stress on my speakers
Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Teching In

you can get adapters these days that allow you to get an aftermarket stereo and still use the steering wheel controls

Quick Reply: Stock Monsoon unit with aftermarket amp and sub