General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Transmission or shift kit? New owner seeking help..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission or shift kit? New owner seeking help..

Hi I'm a new member and a new Camaro owner. I recently purchased a 2000 z28 A4 with 127,000 miles on it. The car has had some mods done to it. As far as I know, it has a built motor, built tranny, a shift kit, headers and a cam are in it. Im not sure exactly what kind they are because the man I bought it off is the not the person who did the mods. Today I was driving on the freeway when my car suddenly lost all power and stopped excelerating. It felt as if I ran out of gas, but my tank was nearly full. The engine is running, it's not over heating, the rps are in normal range, gauges are fine. It's not the battery and I changed my oil, transmission fluid and differential fluid last week. The car idles normal but I can't shift into ANY gear. I've shifted into every gear and the car dosen't respond. It almost seems as if the shifter isn't connected or isint locking in. My local mechanic claims I have to rebuild my tranny or purchase a used one. The obd2 reader sent back 3 codes. P0121 tps sensor, P0300 random misfire, and P0133 oxy sensor. Has anyone ever heard of a "transmission linkage problem"? Is it possible that the shift kit has something to do with this? I'm so upset because I recently bought this car with all my savings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No response yet, maybe a mod can move this to the correct forum. Was everything OK until you replaced the transmission fluid? It's a pain to get the correct level. Those codes shouldn't make the trans not shift at all - and there are several possible A4 codes if you have a trans problem. Wait here for an expert to respond or get a second opinion before opting for a new/rebuilt tranny.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. Yes the car was running fine up until this happened. Sometimes the car would shift hard and jerk when you drop it into drive but I assumed that the shift kit was responsible for this. I'm having an expert look at it tomorrow.