General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

should i be scared

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should i be scared

so hes my problem when im driving the car at a constent speed like 10mph or even 70 mph the car is bogging and jerking back and forth a little (the lower the speed the worse it is) when its in idle the rpms will go from anywhere to 1000 to 500 and it goes up and down. when i acclerate i cant really tell that its going it.

my only ideas as what to happened

day 1. it was raining and at last second i saw a dead goose in middle of the road and drove over it cuz no time to stop and heard a thug - o2 extenstion (LT headers) wires are showing but dont look to be damaged and connection piece was wet but when checked connection today it seemed fine.....NO PROBLEM AFTER THIS DAY but may have a part in problem??

day 2. also raining hard and didnt see huge puddle (hit it at about 40mph and couldnt see a thing cuz water went over the car) and car slowed to 30-35mph. then i noticed the problem. - took air lid and maf off to check for water...non on maf...a very little damp on top of aif filter and damp on bottom of air filter...water marks were all over engine ( intake manifold battery so on)

what you guys think....im also think maybe a fuel pump problem? or injectors?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the MAF is fried. Disconnect it and if the surging stops that's the problem.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
It sounds like the MAF is fried. Disconnect it and if the surging stops that's the problem.
it was dry when i checked it after?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Electronics are very sensitive to water, vibration, heat and static electricity, which is basically everything the car is subjected to. Just unplug it and see if the motor runs better, if not then you eliminated the problem of a bad MAF. It doesn't get any easier than that.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Idk if this will help, but my cars toms were jumping at real low speeds kinda like yours..I changed the fuel filter and it fixed the problem. Easy cheap fix, maybe something to look into
Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Toms is supposed to be rpms sorry
Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 AM
Launching!

I'm gonna say O2s. Water gets in those wires/plugs/whatever and the car acts like you just shot the block full of holes. Extensions are notorious for getting water in them from even the slightest bit of water on the road. If it is them, I would say that they are not necessarily bad. Once they are 100% dry, if they still act up, then they are shot. When mine get wet, they act like crap for the first minute of driving each time you start the car for about a whole day, dry up completely and work fine after that.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elthesh
I'm gonna say O2s. Water gets in those wires/plugs/whatever and the car acts like you just shot the block full of holes. Extensions are notorious for getting water in them from even the slightest bit of water on the road. If it is them, I would say that they are not necessarily bad. Once they are 100% dry, if they still act up, then they are shot. When mine get wet, they act like crap for the first minute of driving each time you start the car for about a whole day, dry up completely and work fine after that.
where do u buy new extensions and connectors
Old 07-18-2011, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Im thinking its the MAF.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you unplug the MAF to see if the car runs better?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Im surprised no one has asked if hes ses light is on, if it is get the codes read.. that will tell you the problem right their. I had a similar issue the car would jolt or jerk as like a bucking horse or something when I gave it some heavy gas. MAF was the problem. I bought a new one from autozone like 150 if i remember correctly.. but first you might want to buy some electrical cleaner..

ask your friendly autozone guys what you need to clean some electrical connectors, then get you some MAF cleaner. take the lid off and the MAF. use the allens i believe to take the case off holding the sensor itself spray some cleaner on the contacts "DO NOT" touch these.. put it back together then see what happens..

new MAF 150
MAR cleaner 7 bucks so do this one first

hope this helps a bit.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Did you unplug the MAF to see if the car runs better?
it ended up being the o2 sensors
Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

My guess was O2 sensors too. If it comes and goes with rain pretty consistently, O2s are the easiest thing to get wet so it is a good place to start.