General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trembling in 4th gear ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trembling in 4th gear ?

Ok, so after the car being in parked for the winter and after a new battery i took the car for a short ride to my parents house ( 8 miles away ) on the way back i noticed that with the trans in 4th gear ( A4) @ 50mph the rpms were about 1500 or so ( stock 2.73s ) under light acceleration the was a trembling.
i could feel a chattering or a shaking. felt like the rear end was going to fall out.

upon further review by a friend, the pinion bearing was shot and there was play up and down. his initial thought was that the ring and pinion were grinding together with the play. end result was i bought an entire rear end rebuild kit, axles and 3.73 gears. after that was done, the yolk/pinion seal was leaking. after a new yolk was installed i took the car out. now with the 3.73s and the car at 40mph the rpms are at 1500 or so. under light acceleration the car still has the trembling.
i changed the fuel filter ( hadnt been changed in about 25K miles / 7 years )
took the car for a ride, still there.

trembling might not be the right way to describe it. its almost like when a manual transmission vehicle is at low rpms and in a higher gear and its starving for gas and it feels like its going to die out.

could it be the trans ? maybe the yank TC ?

if it was a misfire wouldnt a SES light come on ?

plugs and wires were done with the headers 6 years ago. plugs were changed with the cam swap 2 years ago ( kept same msd 8.5 wires )

i havent put many miles on the car in the last 2-3 years. maybe 10K total.

need help guys,
thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If the tremble goes away as you get to 65 mph-ish, its a bad balance on your wheels.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Check the wheels, but I would look at both ends of your plug wires as well as your plugs to see if they have any rust or corrosion on them.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
If the tremble goes away as you get to 65 mph-ish, its a bad balance on your wheels.
i have nitto DR out back. this problem was 1st noticed in march or so. since then I had 1 tire switched around and another used nitto DR mounted for the other side. problem is still apparent. could it still be a balancing issue ?

Originally Posted by Black96z28
Check the wheels, but I would look at both ends of your plug wires as well as your plugs to see if they have any rust or corrosion on them.
i will check the wires on the driver side, since they are easier to get to
Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by gavspurplez
i have nitto DR out back. this problem was 1st noticed in march or so. since then I had 1 tire switched around and another used nitto DR mounted for the other side. problem is still apparent. could it still be a balancing issue ?
Sure. Doesn't matter what kind of tire it is. If the wheel tech screwed up, it will happen on any wheel/tire. It might even be a tire in the front of the car that threw a weight, etc.

The catch is looking to see if the problem goes away at higher speeds. That's the signature of a balance issue. My wife just got 4 new tires on her truck and the techs screwed up three of them! (The thing drove like a tank over 45 mph.)
Old 07-17-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

over the specific rpm range and at higher speeds, it seems to go away. at least its not as noticeable.

definitely feels like its in the back of the car.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i pulled the cable off of the 1st plug on the driver side, i believe #1.
cable ends look in good shape.
remove the plug.........looks ok to me, normal wear. no excessive stink, no fluid electrode and head are straight and in good shape.

sooooooooooo, i reinstall it and was looking over the AIR system, because i want to remove it and the EGR valve.................and what is staring me right in the ******* face ????????????????????????????

plug #8 wire...that's right, it is not plugged to the ******* ignition coil. is this my problem ? car running on ******* 7 cylinders ? how bad is this ? have i done any damage ? who knows how long this has been "off "