New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech - need help with ticking noise

View Full Version : need help with ticking noise

Billfold
03-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Ok, I read the FAQ over at "another" site, but could not figure out the problem from my car from the FAQ. So, hear is the problem. I hear a ticking sound coming from the engine, and it get increasingle louder as I go, no necessarily faster. When I have the car in neutral and give it some revs, I don't hear it. But there is still a faint ticking coming from the car. However, when I am moving, and I step on the gas, the ticking becomes increasingly louder. Now, I have no clue what this is according to reading the FAQ, it didn't address this. Thanks

Bill

98Z-6Speed
03-01-2004, 11:56 AM
My car had symptoms similar to yours and it turned out to be a spark plug that was only gapped at .023. Re gapping properly eliminated the tick.

Are you getting a SES light? Mine would come on and off before I fixed this.

Billfold
03-01-2004, 11:58 AM
no SES light

VoodooWS6
03-01-2004, 12:22 PM
Some LS1's are prone to ticking..I would not really worry about it, unless you hear a knock! It could be a lifter tick too, which is also VERY common. Take a screw driver and put it to the valve cover. Put the handle part to your ear..kinda like a stethoscope. Try and pin point the cylender that the noise is comming from! Then you only have to check one plug too! Saves some time in diagnosis. Hope this helps!

Billfold
03-01-2004, 12:25 PM
will try. thanks. stupid annoying ticking sound! oh well, car is still fast as crap. me likey

VoodooWS6
03-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Dont fret becuase of a tick! Fret if there is a knock!

Billfold
03-01-2004, 01:01 PM
!knocking as far as I can tell

chupr0kabra
03-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Ok, I read the FAQ over at "another" site, but could not figure out the problem from my car from the FAQ. So, hear is the problem. I hear a ticking sound coming from the engine, and it get increasingle louder as I go, no necessarily faster. When I have the car in neutral and give it some revs, I don't hear it. But there is still a faint ticking coming from the car. However, when I am moving, and I step on the gas, the ticking becomes increasingly louder. Now, I have no clue what this is according to reading the FAQ, it didn't address this. Thanks

Bill

I would check the gaskets between your AIR pipe and the exhaust manifold. Four 10mm bolts (two on each side) and a few bucks to replace. I broke one of mine when I replaced my spark plugs and it did pretty much what you're describing. Part number for the gasket is 12553617.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Billfold
03-01-2004, 03:48 PM
will try that

Danny2tek
03-01-2004, 05:02 PM
do you have L/Ts? you might need to add restrictor plates

Billfold
03-01-2004, 05:56 PM
no lt's. borla, lid, gmaf. thats it oh its an A4