Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e issue. no oil flowing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4l60e issue. no oil flowing.

i am doing an engine swap into a is300. picked up a ls1 and 4l60e from a 2002 camaro. i was told 80k miles on it.

just got it running today and the tranny is not working. wheels barely move when off the ground. i figured out there is no oil flowing thru the cooler up front. i was able to spin the converter freely by hand before i bolted it to the flexplate. i pulled the pan and everything is clean and in place in there. there was plenty of fluid.

i am not a tranny guy. seems like it must be the pump. is there anything i should check? if the pump did go bad or break is it likely that is ruined or polluted the rest of the tranny?

is it probable that i can just put a pump in it and be on my way or is there more to it than that.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Pull the cooler line and start it up and see if fluid gushes out.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:29 AM
single digit dreamer

i did that, completely dry.

then i pulled the pan to make sure it has a filter in it and it does.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like pump failure or the converter is not engauging the pump rotor to me. Pull the converter bolts out of it and see how big of a gap there is between the converter and flex plate when you seat the coverter all the way into the pump. If you have more than a 1/4" or so you might have pulled the converter out of the rotor when you tightend up the converter bolts.

You should be able to just repair the pump. It shouldnt have trashed the whole trans. But if the rotor is broken it could have stray pieces here and there.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeremy is correct... but I'll add that once you unbolt the converter and slide it back, rotate it. If it does not move freely and evenly then you probably have a damaged pump.

Improper converter installation is the number one cause of zero pressure during an engine/converter/tranny swap...
Old 07-18-2011, 04:11 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Heads-Up-Outlaw
Jeremy is correct... but I'll add that once you unbolt the converter and slide it back, rotate it. If it does not move freely and evenly then you probably have a damaged pump.

Improper converter installation is the number one cause of zero pressure during an engine/converter/tranny swap...
i have done this 50+ times with no issue but you never know. after bolting the engine and tranny together i was able to spin the converter freely by hand. i would say there was less than 1/8" of space but it spun freely without rubbing.

i do not know the history of this tranny. i know it has been sitting for over a year before i got it.

so, plan is unbolt the converter. slide the converter back. check to see for sure that is spins freely and see how far it will slide back.

if i decide to put a pump in it would something like this be ok >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4L60E...3#ht_632wt_939

if not can i get a suggestion on what pump to buy.

Quick Reply: 4l60e issue. no oil flowing.