General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering fluid in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid in coolant

I did a little research and noticed a few of you have had the similar problem i am having. My power steering cooler on my 1999 trans am ws6 is leaking into my coolant and also found coolant in my resevior. I am just gonna order a new cooler from the dealer (only place i could find one) my question is since this has happened will it cause and permanant damage to anything with the motor? My water pump is leaking now so i just bought a newnone about to put it on. Just wondering if there is any precautions i need to do??? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude....the dumbest thing you can possibly do is order another one of those piece of **** GM factory coolers.

Perhaps the biggest flop of a design by GM.

Get an aftermarket cooler. Search and you'll find all kind of **** on how to do it for $40.00 and 30 minutes of your time. Here's mine below, and it actually cools the fluid. UNLIKE the factory cooler. Then you just get a full upper radiator rubber hose. Just ask the parts guy for one WITHOUT the cooler.

Here, found it for you:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...cooler+success

Attached Thumbnails Power steering fluid in coolant-dsc01789.jpg   Power steering fluid in coolant-dsc01787.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Dude....the dumbest thing you can possibly do is order another one of those piece of **** GM factory coolers.

Perhaps the biggest flop of a design by GM.

Get an aftermarket cooler. Search and you'll find all kind of **** on how to do it for $40.00 and 30 minutes of your time. Here's mine below, and it actually cools the fluid. UNLIKE the factory cooler. Then you just get a full upper radiator rubber hose. Just ask the parts guy for one WITHOUT the cooler.

Here, found it for you:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...cooler+success

Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll 3rd that statement. Externally mounted cooler.

If you go back to the factory hot-*** cooler, all you've done is reset the clock on the time-bomb.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
Old 07-29-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

is there not a sticky that tells every 1 with with a stock PS cooler to ditch it ASAP????
Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Aforementioned thread needs to be stickied!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
is there not a sticky that tells every 1 with with a stock PS cooler to ditch it ASAP????
No kidding.....perhaps the best form of preventative maintenance.......

Long ago, Mods would make certain threads stickies...as to help the members. They just don't anymore, there's some process you have to do, submitting it and all. Pretty Cheesy.......

Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by stoge52
I did a little research and noticed a few of you have had the similar problem i am having. My power steering cooler on my 1999 trans am ws6 is leaking into my coolant and also found coolant in my resevior. I am just gonna order a new cooler from the dealer (only place i could find one) my question is since this has happened will it cause and permanant damage to anything with the motor? My water pump is leaking now so i just bought a newnone about to put it on. Just wondering if there is any precautions i need to do??? Thanks!
Welcome to the forum, with that being said, the best tip I can give you is to use the SEARCH feature in this forum, its not perfect but it will get you the anser most of the time. These same questions have been asked over and over, this place is a wealth of fbody knowledge, use it like Google.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Welcome to the forum, with that being said, the best tip I can give you is to use the SEARCH feature in this forum, its not perfect but it will get you the anser most of the time. These same questions have been asked over and over, this place is a wealth of fbody knowledge, use it like Google.

Or do what I do, since the search feature is so finicky... Just type in what you're looking for on Google, and end it with LS1Tech
Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also type the following in a google search

site:ls1tech.com <search phrase>

and you will get better results

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid in coolant