General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New Performance, Which one and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Performance, Which one and Why?

I own a Neon SRT-4. Making 400whp, nice car..fun car, when it's not broken. It's only got 80k on the odometer and the engine is strong, but everything is nickle and diming me and I'm getting tired of it.

As well as i'm 25 and feeling funny riding around in a little bright car now.

Looking into the new GTO's/ a z28/ss, or a ws6

Which would you prefer?
How much power can I get out of the ls1's comparative to my srt-4 already?
Pro's/Con's?
Just looking to see which one of these 3 cars I really want to look at.

Appreciate the help.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One question, what does ur srt-4 run in the 1/4?

If u go to a fbody, your not gonna have the 4door convenience,

The z28/ss/ws6 are practically the same car minus some minor different trims. So, it'll be a styling preference. I personally own a '98 SS A4, and I love the aggressive styling.

The GTO, on the other hand has an IRS, as opposed to a solid rear axel on fbodies, the 04 GTO is a TAD slower, but the build quality is superb ( I love the leather ), and will cost you a lil more to buy. If you lean towards a GTO, look for a 05-06 GTO with the 6.0L LS2.

a STOCK ls1 is about 300 rwhp, and respond well with mods. I don't know any common issues, other than window motors and ignition lock cylinder.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Street tires I got the neon into the mid 12's. I'm not a big drag guy, more of a street guy.
I don't really get any time to race, only once or twice a week if someone is picking on me to and from my way to work.

How much can these stock internals handle? It seems almost like the LS1's are cheaper to modify than my srt was.

I'm just curious as to how much I can push before having to go into aggressive block building. (That's where I'm at with my neon, unless I do extreme building to the block I can't grab anymore power.) and I'm not looking into that due to the idea that FWD on the street does nothing but wheel hop for the first 3 gears. (More power would just make it almost useless to try and go fast.)

I'm leaning towards the GTO because of the idea that they are new/fresh, and look clean. BUT I also know that they aren't as quick, and are some heavy son's of bitches.