Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Motive pinion gear depth specs?

Old 07-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motive pinion gear depth specs?

Howdy guys.

I got a set of Motive 4.10 gears for my rear. The specification numbers are etched on the head of the pinion gear. My problem is the numbers are perplexing me a good bit, or in other words I don't really know what the hell they are trying to tell me. For example, in my little instruction packet that came with the gears, there's an illustration that shows the checking distance and a gear with 2.468 on the head as an example.
Ok, that's definitely understandable.

My pinion gear has 108.14 and 11-167 right bellow that first number.
Now this I do not understand one bit..

Got any ideas? I bought a pinion depth checking tool and whatnot; so as long I can set it up appropriately and figure out these numbers I should be able to get this pinion set to Motive's correct specs.

Thanks-
Old 07-20-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have only had one set of Motives that didn't set up very well using the stock pinion shim off the stock gear. I believe it is usually around .030. I know this may not be the 100% correct way to do it but I have not had one issue in the dozen or so 10 bolts I have built (all in modded and raced cars). Just an FYI.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Well, I'm going from a 2.41 to a 4.10 gear, so the increase is quite significant. I found a write up a guy did about swapping the gears in a 8.8 and he used a calculation that involved the MHD (Master House Dimension) in which it looks like he got half the diameter of the ring gear which I believe is the MHD and subtracted the thickness of the original pinion head to get the pinion depth. Whatever his measurement was he said this was achieved with the stock pinion shim. You then get the pinion head thickness of the new gear and subtract it from the MHD and whatever your new pinion depth is, you find the difference between the original. In my case there was a .022 difference and my original shim measured .041. Since my pinion head was thicker I had to subtract the shim thickness. Since the difference in depth is .022 and the original shim is .041 I have to subtract .022 from .041 and I get a pinion shim of .019.

I don't even know if this calculation in 100% accurate, but the guy who did the write up said he used this numerous times so I was curious and tried it out myself since I don't know what the hell the specified depth is for my pinion gear. He used this for a ford 8.8, so I don't know if the principles apply to my old 8.5.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Teching In

My new pinion has numbers similar to those in the first post above. Does anybody know what distance these are referring to? Are they metric, or something?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motive pinion gear depth specs?