Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Recommend me an exhaust system for my 3.8L 4th gen.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me an exhaust system for my 3.8L 4th gen.

My current stock one was welded on crappily because I changed the fuel pump the long way. Anyway, I'm tired of hearing the stock one. I would like a new exhaust system maybe for the looks and perhaps the sound.

I would also like a catalytic converter but I don't know what high flow and catbacks are.

Help me out here please.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

STS has a wild exhaust system
Old 07-19-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with Magnaflow, they make a kit for the V6.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright, sit down and hear me out.

If you're after the "V8 Muscle" sound you're not gonna get it from a 3800 V6. Period.

You'll come close with a true dual setup and H-pipe, but most shops will tell you to GTFO or rip you a new one cost-wise on fabbing one up.

Be sure to check with local and state laws regarding aftermarket exhaust systems and high flow cats so you don't blow a crapload of money on something if you have to pass certain regulations.

Some guys go the inexpensive route and use a Texas Speed & Performance Rumbler as seen in these vids below. Cheap, high flow, but LOUD and can be considered annoying to people that still have their sense of hearing. I ran this for 2 years or so and switched to something else because my wife finally put her foot down.

Some go with a Magnaflow catback, others go with a Borla, but please don't go Flowmaster. Another good catback is the Hooker. There's a guy who had one of those catbacks on his V6 and it sounded perfect.

Run a spun metallic cat, or just find any direct fit high flow catalytic converters. Some exhaust shops will have them as well.

In the end it comes down to what you want to spend and what sound you like the most. Find some local guys that have V6's with aftermarket exhaust and see if you can get a ride along with them to see what you like best.

Exhaust tips will make the catback stand out the best but it depends on your personal taste.

Here's what I had and then went to afterwards from my post in my project thread elsewhere on the board:

Originally Posted by WarShrike
So I finally got a different catback to replace the TSP Rumbler. The wife complained a bit too often even when I'd drive trying to be mellow and not let it go over 3K rpms (no small feat with a 3800 stall).

I decided to start putting together a catback with the 13secV6 catback as a guideline. The serial numbers have changed since that thread was started, so I'll try and give you my best finds. I must note that I had to have a new y-pipe fabricated to work as the slip-fit setup as I got rid of the v-band setup as they were constantly snagging on things.

I did make a departure as the Summit Turbo Muffler had the dual out on the same side of the muffler instead of being a transverse setup. I went with a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler that was 3" inlet and 3" dual outlet in transverse location. I couldn't find any 3" tailpipes to use, but figured I'd just have it done at the exhaust shop.

Parts:
Flowmaster 3" intermediate pipe: FLO-26087
Dynomax 3" Axle cross over pipe: WLK-53061
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler: WLK-17670

Impressions:
Very mellow startup that still has a nice rumble compared to stock but won't attract too much attention with the cutout closed. It gives the car more of the grainy V6 sound instead of the scream from the Rumbler. I can carry on a conversation with my wife and the radio going without too much issue. No drone either inside the cabin.
I can also go WOT without people half a mile away knowing I'm coming.

This will offer much more of a sleeper standard for me which is what I liked. It sounded like I was trying to race everybody with the Rumbler, though I was part throttle all the time.

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho4hMFh8pRM

Old catback w/ Rumbler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyVjFEK_70c

For those that are wondering, I sold the Rumbler to another V6 owner in the area
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

The V8 will sound the best. Don't start spending all your money on beefing up your V6, save for a Formula or Trans Am.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Put a SLP Loud Mouth on A 02 Camaro and it sounded great !!!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Years ago I knew a guy that had one on his V6 that sounded real good, best I've personally heard on a V6. If I'm not mistaken it was a Flowmaster 40 series
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Heck just cut the muffler off! LoL
If your wanting loud that's the way to go LoL
Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy my flowmaster cat back.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codeman74
Heck just cut the muffler off! LoL
If your wanting loud that's the way to go LoL
I don't want loud. I want something deep and not trebly/farty like my current set up(stock)
Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk584
STS has a wild exhaust system
so much win!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

personally, i'd leave it stock. i wanted to put an exhaust setup on my old 3800 car until i heard a couple with flowmaster/magnaflow catbacks. to me it sounded cheap and horrible so i left my stock exhaust be.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Teching In

I had a flowmaster muffler (not sure of the series) and some generic dual outlet tips on my V6, and it sounded good. I got lots of compliments from my buddies that had V8's, and it was pretty cheap.

That being said, I agree with saving your pennies for a V8. Its a world of difference, and not just in acceleration.

Quick Reply: Recommend me an exhaust system for my 3.8L 4th gen.